• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Software Compatibility Question

Hey everyone,

I downloaded Elcotel PNM manager 2.2 (pay phone programming software) for running on my 386DX/33. However, the manual says it needs a 486, MS-DOS 6.2, and Windows (95, 98, or NT). Has anyone had success with running software with a computer running less than the system requirements?

My system:

CPU: 486DX/33
Video: VGA
DOS version: 4.01 (I'll upgrade to 5 or 6.22 at some point)
Windows Version: 3.1

Try it--sometimes the requirement is overstated. Win 95 and 98 and NT are not DOS 6.2. I suspect that the application uses 32-bit mode in Windows, which might account for the requirement. What the DOS 6.2 is all about, I have no idea, unless it's a leftover from an earlier version (Win95 is MSDOS 7).

What type of error message do you get or does it just lock up? If it is testing for CPU or DOS version, it might be possible to patch around the test. There are few functions in DOS 6.2 that are not in DOS 4.01. 6.2 was the short lived version without disk compression so PNM can't be using that. It could be using a coprocessor in which case tracking down a 387 might help.

Do you have any system with a Pentium or later CPU to use a check? If the software has some form of copy protection, the failure to meet software requirements would just be a red herring being chased in error.

It looks like a 32-bit Windows program. It might run in Windows 3.1 with Win32s, but probably not...

I downloaded Elcotel PNM manager 2.2 (pay phone programming software) for running on my 386DX/33. However, the manual says it needs a 486, MS-DOS 6.2, and Windows (95, 98, or NT).
Did you actually try to run it? From your post, you tell us that you downloaded it and read the manual. And... that's it..?

Yes, run it if you haven't. It won't damage anything. Will either run or give and error or hang.

Version 2.2 looks to be built around Access 97 so DOS and Win 3.1 with Win 32s are not going to work. Windows 95 will run on a 386 if there is enough memory. Win 95 also will handle Access 97.

Just don't try to update the database on a 386. The readme projects updates taking 8 hours on hardware available in 2003 which suggests updates taking closer to a week on a 386,

If you install Windows 95 (appears to be the minimum for this package as described), make sure you have enough memory in your system. 8MB is the practical minimum and 16-32 MB would be lots better. In any case, Win95 is not going to be a speed demon on a 33MHz 80386.

Back