• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TANDY 4000 EGA/CGA video card settings Dip switch configuration

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I picked up a Tandy 4000 and Im just trying to test it out. I cant seem to find the settings for the video card online. It says CGA/EGA and have two RCA connectors. I was hoping to try composite video if thats even an option on my workbench. IT had a pin header too in the upper corner above the dip switches and some early cards have a connector for composite via that connect. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_20240427_163757.jpg

The person that runs the website has compiled a large amount of information. If I tried to do that much it would probably contain more errors and omissions than it does now :)
I also noticed that the part numbers don't match but that could be due to more possible reasons than I could think of. If the layout looks the same, there are probably few, if any, changes.

Oh im not complaining and I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.I couldnt do any better compiling all thst info.

Yes I think that is it thank you. Strange thing is it seems incomplete. It lists both RCA conenctors as "not used" and the P1 header pins as "unidentified"

“Not used” is an accurate description for the rca plugs on most EGA cards. Per the original IBM EGA those jacks just terminate on pins on the internal “feature connector” (which on your card is the IDC pin header) and don’t do *anything* unless a card connected to that assigns a function to them.

In short, unless you plug a device into the feature connector that can create a composite output and drive it through those rear jacks you don’t get composite out.

In short, unless you plug a device into the feature connector that can create a composite output and drive it through those rear jacks you don’t get composite out.
Really? I dont think I ever owned EGA before. What a waste of money to add connectors which dont do anything.

Really? I dont think I ever owned EGA before. What a waste of money to add connectors which dont do anything.

Honest and truly. The tech manual for IBM’s EGA is on minus zero, read the section on the feature connector and/or look at schematic sheet #10 of 11.

ATI EGA Wonder cards have an internal pin connector to drive the monochrome composite monitor inside portables like the IBM 5155, that is the only common EGA card I can think of with Composite support built into it. (It is mono only, no colorburst or ntsc encoding.)

Back