• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Xerox 800-4 Cassette Based Word Processor.

My first thought is the similarity to the Wang 1200, although this one looks more modern. It would be interesting to see more of the hardware to see if it is a derivative of the Wang machine. Then to see if it operated similarly, in which case Wang documentation might help. http://www.wang1200.org/

My first thought is the similarity to the Wang 1200, although this one looks more modern. It would be interesting to see more of the hardware to see if it is a derivative of the Wang machine. Then to see if it operated similarly, in which case Wang documentation might help. http://www.wang1200.org/

The CPU is implemented with a pair of Signetics 74181 4-bit ALU chips, so maybe a derivative of the 16-bit Xerox Alto minicomputer.

I also saw that in the RICM documentation, but even Wang used 74181 chips - many did. The Wang 2200 CPU uses two 74181s. I'm not aware of Wang word processors that were based on the 2200 design, but the first models of the 1200 were based on the 500/600 calculator CPUs and so it is possible. A closer look at the Xerox 800-4 IBM-Selectric-II keyboard modifications might reveal something. On the surface, they look similar (but not identical) to the Wang 1200 keyboard. It just might be an angle to explore. Even if it is a different design, it might be influenced by the same operation principles.

I also saw that in the RICM documentation, but even Wang used 74181 chips - many did. The Wang 2200 CPU uses two 74181s. I'm not aware of Wang word processors that were based on the 2200 design, but the first models of the 1200 were based on the 500/600 calculator CPUs and so it is possible. A closer look at the Xerox 800-4 IBM-Selectric-II keyboard modifications might reveal something. On the surface, they look similar (but not identical) to the Wang 1200 keyboard. It just might be an angle to explore. Even if it is a different design, it might be influenced by the same operation principles.
The keyboard/printer is a daisy-wheel. The mechanism looks similar to a DEC LQP02 that was made by Diablo/Xerox. I will put more board pictures on the WWW page shortly.

Back