• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do you have photos of cpu:s?

cpuswe

Hi!

Im in the making of a cpu photo library, where i sort and compiles photos of known cpus (and fpus).

(Im not sure if you computer collectors see us cpu collectors as coldblooded murders ripping the "heart" out of a computer. But i hope we all can get along! ;) If i had the space i would collect whole systems.)

Do you have cpus that you can´t find in the library and can take a photo or put in a scanner? Just use the upload function on the site!

Check it out at http://www.cpuphotolibrary.com

Thanks!

/Thomas

How come Zilog (Z80 etc), MOS/CSG (6502 etc) and all companies who made versions of those chips are completely missing? I don't see any SPARC neither, but at least a few PowerPC and HP-PA. Unfortunately I can't contribute much.

carlsson said:
How come Zilog (Z80 etc), MOS/CSG (6502 etc) and all companies who made versions of those chips are completely missing? I don't see any SPARC neither, but at least a few PowerPC and HP-PA. Unfortunately I can't contribute much.

Simple... Because i haven't gotten to those chips yet. I have to manually sort, name and add every pic so it takes some time. (I don't want to do the math on 1893 pics times X seconds per pic. I have no life... ;) ) I started out on familiar x86 ground (and the most collected/popular) but now it takes more and more research to know how to sort those manufacturers that are unfamiliar to me. But they will all be there some day! Promise!

/Thomas

Black and white photos of IBM boxes

Black and white photos of IBM boxes

The computer history museum in CA has a thick pile of IBM sales photos.
I gave my whole collection to them several years ago. They are glossy and excellent prints. See Chris Garcia at the museum. If you would take a laptop and good scanner there, I feel they would let you make a high density copy.

Bob Bru...

Bob Brubaker said:
The computer history museum in CA has a thick pile of IBM sales photos.
I gave my whole collection to them several years ago. They are glossy and excellent prints. See Chris Garcia at the museum. If you would take a laptop and good scanner there, I feel they would let you make a high density copy.

Bob Bru...

That would have been sooo nice! The only thing is that it is a couple of thousand miles between Sweden and California ;)

/Thomas

alexkerhead said:
cpuswe, you dont trash the computers you remove the cpus from do you?

No i generally dont, and i would never trash anything remotely vintage. My source of cpu:s are mainly ebay and other collectors, although there is probably some trashing where those cpus came from. Generally that thrashing is done by recyclers with no nowledge of what they got.

/Thomas

No problem! :thumbsup: In the end we are both trying to presere a bit of computer history whit the resources we got! If i owned a warehouse i would gladly collect whole systems.

And if it is just for the photos, in theory a CPU can be lifted from its socket, photographed and then reseated into the computer again. That is, unless one wants to take a picture of the CPU in its "natural habitat". :)

carlsson said:
And if it is just for the photos, in theory a CPU can be lifted from its socket, photographed and then reseated into the computer again. That is, unless one wants to take a picture of the CPU in its "natural habitat". :)

Yes, true! But besides the cpu photo project im a ordinary cpu collector. You can find my collection at http://www.recode.se/cpu

/Thomas

I'll dig through some stuff so see what all I have. Just a bunch of Pentium 1's, 2's and a few 8086's I think. I have a Power PC G3 floating around here somewhere..... I'll see if I can get you a photo of a Cray Vector Processor from some people I know in Germany.

-Vlad

Back