• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I just got a "light sixer"

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
I went to the flea market today looking for an air conditioner and got a reallycool 2600 instead. I cleaned it up and it has a questionable switch (reset) that might need replacing and no adapter. Not bad for $5. I asked the guy how long had he had it and it had been with him for 6 months and he actually thanked me for buying it so he could stop hauling it around with him. It has two controllers that look to be in good shape, too. No games and no adapter. Not bad for $5, less than token price. Anybody want to trade for an adapter?

nathan

I recently learned that you need a standard 9V DC adapter - just check for correct polarity. Maybe it only is true for some 2600 models though. On the meet last weekend, I probably could've bought as many 2600 consoles of various types as I wanted, but I never asked for price since it is not really in my interest. Some of the sellers are local anyway, so I could buy one (plus games) any week.

My sixer's adapter says "Part No. CO10472", output is 9VDC, 500mA.
Tip is positive, ring is negative. (I don't have an extra, sorry)

Cheers,
Andy

Ah, you need the reset switch for most games! As for the adapter, just go to Radio Shack & buy one. Remember to get the connector that looks like a headphone jack!

I checked out bestelectronics and they're only $10 plus shipping, and at RS's prices I'll just order one from there. And if this 2600 doesnt' work, I might get you to pick me one up if you don't mind, Carlsson. Er, wait, you're not in the US, huh? I guess I'll see if this one works. They're for sale around here pretty often so I figger I could get another pretty easy. And if the controllers aren't good I have the ones from the FB2.

Has anyone made any custom handles for the FB2 controllers? Since I got this 2600 I've been thinking about it.

NathanAllan, yes I'm overseas and 2600 consoles probably should be so common and cheap that the shipping isn't worth it, even though one guy had a trailer full of NTSC 110V USA stuff (including 2600, Coleco, Intelli etc consoles).

Also, most DB9 style joysticks will work with the Atari, since it was a de facto-standard invented by Atari but I believe many other brands used without license. There are a few DB9 systems that are incompatible, but it is probably harder to find controllers for those than vice versa. When it comes to paddles, light pens, drawing pads and so on, the compatibility is much less than for joysticks.

2600a, I'm one of those wierd individuals that like joysticks over gamepads. I tried to get used to them and never could. I tried! I had an NES, an SNES and even got one for my pc but never could like it.My hands always would cramp up and I got blisters real bad, so I'm gonna stick to joysticks.

Carlsson, I'd love to get one of those epyx controllers that you grabed with one hand and it had a kind of paddle/joystick mix. I'd also like to get that reallycool keyboard adapter cart and use it as a computer! I know it *is* a computer and all. I guess I want to make it a Linux terminal like I want to do with everything else :D. I think I saw a 2600jr at one of the other sellers' places. And didn't atari come up with a bunch of stuff that they never got credit for? Or at least it's on a footnote buried so deep that noone looks?

I forgot to mention, I got a book on ST BASIC, published by atari. Neat book! I've been studying. Interesting little twists their version has.

I think I'll try carving a custom grip out of wood for the fb2 controller. Given time (summer classes)

I'm quite amazed over all those cross-architecture expansion modules back and forth, although most of them seem to be almost complete systems packaged into an expansion module.

I'd sure like to get one of those. I did a search on ebay for all those things and pulled up soe interesting items, but no keyboard. I remember I saw a hack to make a cart connected ps/2 keyboard. Searching...

Back