• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help with ST-225 HDD

No lights, no sounds of moving heads. Bummer. And, the BIOS still shows "0 MB" in the drive specs.

Yes - you're right. 2 cables. The controller cable (think that's what it's called) is the wide one, the data cable is the narrower one. I identified the "1" pin on the controller card and checked to be sure the cables are attached correctly. There's another set of pins for a 2nd narrow cable located on the card between where I have the cables connected right now. That particular set of pins is covered with dust, whereas the other sets of pins were shiny and clean...ergo, I figured the clean pins are where the connectors have been all these years.

Just wondering....why would the IDE Primary Master automatically show as disabled in BIOS whenever I insert the ST225 controller card in an ISA slot??

Could you post good quality photo of your controller or give me model number?

Here are some screen shots from my 1992 vintage machine. Note the two ways of entering the drive information, either by telling the BIOS that it is 'Type 2' (and letting it supply the parameters for the drive) or by using 'Type 47' and entering the parameters myself:

2006_0916_085548.gif

2006_0916_085504.gif

If the BIOS isn't telling you the correct drive size you might be entering the parameters wrong.

Sorry for being MIA all weekend. Wound up having to shelve the project for a couple of days so I could be sociable and polite to houseguests.

mb, my AMIBios set up looks completely different from yours. I'll post some pictures, but it will take a couple of days since I seem to have misplaced my camera's USB cable. I believe I'm entering parameters correctly, but will defer to you. And Luke - same with you...I'll post a pic of the card AND how I've got it connected.

I'll be back...
Kathy

Back