• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hercules

dongfeng

Veteran Member
Thanks to Jorg, I have Hercules card to replace my IBM Mono card :D

However, I can't seem to get Hercules to run software with graphics on 5151.

With mainboard DIP switch set to 'Monochrome' it runs like Mono card and I can't run software who uses graphics.

Set to either of the CGA Colour modes, I get beeping (like if there is no card present)

Set to card has own BIOS, 5151 is blank.

How can I use it?

What kind of graphics software are you trying to run?
Some apps need msherc to run in Hercules graph mode.

What happen if you try to run graph mode?

Hmm...this may or may not help...a friend ran a mono Hercules card in his pc clone. To get graphics from software (mostly games) that didn't directly support the Hercules card, he ran a utility called (I think) HGCIBM.EXE (or it could have been a com).

There was another program that did the same thing (graphics emulation) but I don't recall the name of it.

Kent

So far I only tried the basic sample programs with DOS. I will try to find the emulation software and see if it works :D

Ehh... I see that you are not familiar with Hercules graph card ;).

These cards were designeg by guy from East (don't remember the country).
It was great alternative for both - CGA and MDA.
It allowed people use strange letters, that were not put into IBMs graphics cards.
It could be done on CGA too, but you know, who normal will use CGA for world processing?

IBM didn't liked Hercules as they haven't any profits from it.
It wasn't supported well at the beggining (1982~1984).

Hercules have it's own graphics mode, and these programs MSHERC and HGCIBM are only drivers or somethink like that.
There are some emulators around dated '84, '86, so you can get CGA mode on Hercules card.
They don't support many apps and games, but might be useful.

If you want to program HGC you need to get QB (don't remember wich ver, but in BASICA and GW-BASIC there was no support for HCG).
Of you can write directly to Hercules'es memory.

That's it.

I knew I had seen hgcibm recently so I went through the floppy vault. Lo and behold, there it was, HGCIBM.COM in all its glory. I don't have any documentation for it at all as I never used it, it just happened to be on a disk that I got from the aforementioned friend.

Kent

Attachments

• HGCIBM.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 2
I knew some software did have Hercules selection for graphics, but now I wanted to find it I cannot...

I've loaded the HGCIBM. The graphics can look a little blur sometimes but it works great :D Thanks!

One thing I have notices about the Hercules card (regardless if the HGCIBM software is loaded or not) is that it makes the text wobble slightly on the screen. Anyone else had anything similar? It's only very slight.

Back