• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted 5.25" floppy drive

ruthannephoenix

I have 80 5.25" floppy disks that I need to pull engineering drawings off. Does anyone know where I can get a drive that will connect to a new computer?

I'd try ebay or maybe you can find someone who has a compatible 5.25 disk drive that can pull the information off, and put them on a CD for you.

Possibly the quantifier "new computer" presents a problem, if it A) is so new that it doesn't have a floppy interface at all or B) at least so new the floppy interface no longer supports 5.25" drives. In my opinion, the poster may as well look for a ~10-15 year old computer (late 486, Pentium 1, perhaps Pentium 2 class) that comes pre-installed with a 5.25" floppy drive and either can be networked or have a CD burner installed. Or in worst case, pull the drawings to HDD and later connect the HDD as a slave drive to another machine.

All this is assumed that the floppies come from a MS-DOS or other PC computer. If the floppies were used on a completely different system, the poster may want to point that out, and it suddenly becomes a few degrees more cumbersome (but still doable) to extract the data.

Do you have an older computer? If not - look on ebay and get one cheap or go to your local dump. I see them there all the time. You can connect those to a new computer using your parallel interface and get the data that way.

I have a 1.2MB 5.25" drive connected to my Pentium 4, I haven't yet seen a BIOS that doesn't support them.

The only problem I had, is that you HAVE to set the 5.25" as drive A, and the 3.5" as drive B on the cable. But they can be swapped to the other way round in the BIOS :)

I have a 1.2MB 5.25" drive connected to my Pentium 4, I haven't yet seen a BIOS that doesn't support them.

The only problem I had, is that you HAVE to set the 5.25" as drive A, and the 3.5" as drive B on the cable. But they can be swapped to the other way round in the BIOS :)

I haven't seen a BIOS that doesn't support 5.25" drives, but I *have* seen BIOS that will only support one floppy drive and not two. If that were the case, then you'd have to install the 5.25" floppy drive as drive A and do without a 3.5" floppy drive.

-Andrew

Also worth noting is that Windows XP and 2000 don't seem to support low-density 360kB drives (as I found out by trying). However, you can boot to DOS and use the drives there :)

I would offer to transfer the files, but it appears the OP hasn't logged in since the original posting.

If it were me..I have a Compaq deskpro 325s with 3.5" and 5 1/4" drives. I would copy the 5 1/4" disks (drive B) to 3.5" disks (drive A).

I could do the same with my Gateway 4DX2-66V.
But I'd really prefer to find out what kind of system originally created the floppies and act accordingly. :)

My Gateway 386-25 full sized tower is still working! Of course, that motherboard has been upgraded 3 times. Very nice ASUS P2B-B in there now with 1 Ghz PIII. Original PS still works, very noisy these days. First upgrade was a DX2-50V.

Back