• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm 2162

Nightowl

I have an IBM 2162 S9C, and was wondering if there is a web page that I could go to, to get the specs off of my old computer. I bought this new in 97, and found the old reciept for it last night. Total cost was a little over 2700.00 when I bought it. That was with a 20 percent discount. Somehow I don't think they threw the discount in there. Boy have times changed. Computers are 10 times faster, and alot more cheaper than that one I bought. I was asked what the mother board was, but I have no idea, or even where to find the number on the board.:confused:

Richard

An IBM Aptiva from 1997 is old, but not vintage, so your post has been moved to the off topic area.

I would suggest going to www.ibm.com and looking at the support area.

I already tried that. They use to have a forum back in 97, but I suppose they decided that they didn't need it, sense nobody would want to upgrade a computer like that. The way they were throwing them out, and decreasing prices, I can see why. I was looking for a forum to find this out, and this one came up, so I thought I would give it a shot. I guess, I picked the wrong place to put this. Sorry about that. I guess I thought anything that was at least 10 years old for a computer, was vintage. I guess that old computer that I had that worked only with dos and had a 20 MB hardcard is more of the vintage type.

Richard

I'm kind of puzzled because IBM does have the support pages for the Aptiva, and even the Ambra (their earlier value line) still there. 2162 is not in the list, but it should be.

You should get the serial number of the machine and use that on the web page - it might be able to get you straight to what you need.

Nobody is offended that you posted - I just moved your posting to someplace more appropriate. DOS and 20MB hard cards are definitely more interesting around here. ; - )

You can get help here

You can get help here

Don't let the Brute run you off, he slaps everyones hands! It doesn't even bother me anymore. actually he's very nice, just doing his job. I am sure someone will reply with an answer to your question.:hammer:

Oh I didn't take it as being handled that way. I am a moderator for Dirtoval.com, and I have to move around posts, and delete some when they become vulgar, so I didn't take any offence to having it moved:cool: I did try to put my computer number in that ibm page, but nothing really happened. There is just not really any support for it, so I have been searching the net, and have not been able to come up with much. I may try a few more forums, to see if I can't find the right place that will have that info. Back when I got this new, they had a page that you could go to, and there were alot ofpeople on it, just as on here. It just dealt with Aptivas. That page is long gone, so I tried another page I often went to. It's called Don's something or other. It had all the stuff you wanted to know. Well I found it, but it doesn't look like anybody has been on it for awhile, and I have tried to email the owner of the site 3 times now, to no avail. I pretty much know what I have on the computer, when it comes to the hardware, but what I was trying to do was buy a sound blaster board for it. I know that I have to get it off ebay, and I have had mixed results from people that have theirs to offer. Some have the ISA slots, some have PCI slots, and mine has both. One guy said to buy his since the PCI is faster than the ISA. I don't know if that is true or not. I went over to the Creative forums and asked a couple of questions, but didn't really get the answer I was looking for. I guess they like to deal with the new stuff, which the old IBM won't handle, so thats how I ended up here.

I found at least two documents relating to the model 2162, in case you didn't see them before:

Location of video memory sockets (in case you need to know)
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MNOK-3T7SCW

Here you can buy the IBM Aptiva Hardware Maintenance Manual, Service Level A relating to the model 2162. It costs $12.75 incl. a CD.

http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?CTY=US&FNC=SRX&PBL=S84H-8107-01

According to this page, the 2162 may have come with a 233MMX CPU. Does it sound familiar? IBM's old website seems to have been searchable at one point, but just like other manufacturers, they probably have retired documentation about since long EOL:ed systems.

http://members.aol.com/bonxpress/uah/wintune.html

Are you looking for a SoundBlaster 16 or anything newer? Generally, PCI should be faster than ISA. PCI cards tend to get their IRQs automatically allocated, which perhaps can lead to conflicts, a little depending on the computer in question (as far as I remember supporting this generation of branded and noname computers in the student union).

Thanks, but I had that page printed out in 1998.:D If you push on one of the links, it will take you right back to the same page you came from. I was more looking for a picture of the slots, and the names of them, and their posistions. I don't know if I can put in a sound board in a PCI slot, if the old original was in an ISA slot. The video is in a ISA slot, as was the Crystal sound card. I was trying to find out if it is possible to use a PCI slot to put the new board in, or if you have to do something to the bios to change it, from ISA to PCI? Actually there were a few differnt models that came out in the 2162. Mine was the S9C. It had a spereate drive counsel that fit under the monitor, instead of the tower. Mine is the 200 MMX processor, with 64 megs of ram. Thats the most you can put in that board.:confused:

Richard

You are just looking to upgrade the sound card?

You can put a PCI sound card in. I don't think the BIOS really cares too much, unless sound was built into the system - in that case, disable the onboard BIOS. I think you mentioned that your sound card was an ISA card, so that should not apply.

The operating systemis going to care though. Remove the card, then uninstall the drivers for the card from the OS. Install new card, and install the drivers.

The devil is in the details ...

Not concerned. Job qualifications include thick skin. ; - )

Hm, maybe I'm mixing up IBM with Compaq when it comes to systems being more picky than others about IRQ assignment. IIRC the generation of chipset we're talking about barely has APCI or whatever it is called when many units share one IRQ. In theory, everything should work, but practise shows some combinations don't go well together no matter how much you fiddle with BIOS and drivers. :-/

Its just something to play with. I have 3 other computers but they are all newer. Is that a word?:) I tried to put the Everest program on it, and it wouldn't take after 50 minutes of trying to download. That is a smart little program tho. It tells ya everything about whats on the computer, in terms of hardware. I just guess this computer is too old for it. :cool:

This is old, but ..

The files for the 2162 were on the old IBM PC BBS. Those files are no longer hosted by IBM anymore, and are not available on the current Lenovo web pages.

The 2162 Uses either a Pentium 133, 166, or 200Mhz processor. It has two 168 pin DIMM sockets, VESA local bus, ISA bus, PCI bus, two IDE controllers, USB, CD-ROM, etc.

You break into the onboard BIOS setup using the F1 key after the computer is first turned on.

If you want the full docs, I can email them to you...

Mike

Have you tried the page of IBM Canada? Until some time ago, they even had the IBM-PC support files there (but they are gone now).

IBM Canada's web pages were the last bastion of old-school goodness. But they have been gone for a while now.

I however, happen to have my sources. ;-)

Back