• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cottonwood BBS is operational!

wiskow

Experienced Member
Cottonwood BBS is back online and operational!

After much trial and error, I've got all the right pieces put together... So dust off your old modem, and give Cottonwood BBS a call. It's presently the only known Commodore dial-up BBS in existence!

I apologize to anyone who tried to call before... The VoIP line I tried to use didn't work out... So I'm back with a new number, a regular phone line, and NO line noise!

Call now at +1 (951)242-3593

For detailed information on the BBS, and tips on connecting, check out the Cottonwood BBS informational website:
http://www.wiskow.hpg.ig.com.br/index.htm

-Andrew
aka Balzabaar (SysOp)

Hi - If anyone has been successful connecting to this BBS, please post the hardware/software combination of the system you've used to connect. I have not had much luck again today. It's possible that I have attempted when someone else is on line, but my system does not report much, I can't hear anything coming from my system. When I attempt to call a phone (make my cell phone ring for example), it connects, so I at least know that my computer/modem are OK. I have been using the ARB bulletin board software's terminal program, but I can try others.
Thanks.
Bill

Last edited:
Hi - If anyone has been successful connecting to this BBS, please post the hardware/software combination of the system you've used to connect. I have not had much luck again today.

Bill, I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems connecting to the BBS. Did you try calling from a regular telephone to see if there was a busy signal when you were unable to connect?

Here are the settings I've used successfully with HyperTerminal in both Windows XP and Windows NT:
Function, arrow, and ctrl keys act as: Terminal keys
Backspace key sends: Ctrl+H, Space, Ctrl+H
Emulation: ANSI
Telnet terminal ID: ANSI
Backscroll buffer lines: 500
Host System Encoding Method: Shift-JIS
ASCII Sending: Send line ends with line feeds
ASCII Receiving: Append line feeds to incoming line ends
8 bits, No Parity, 1 stop bit

That'll get you a standard ASCII connection to the BBS. Of course, for the best "Commodore Experience" with a PC, I'd reccomend using C64TERM, available on my website which I liked to in my original message. The only thing is, you have to run C64TERM from MS-DOS (it won't work in Windows) and you have to be using a standard Hayes Compatible modem (it won't work with a "Winmodem").

If you still have problems, let me know... I'm always happy to help! :)

-Andrew

Follow up - I was successful and have registered as billdeg, user #6. A first there was a weird problem with my phone line. Whenever I called the BBS, my phones upstairs would ring "bling-bling-blip". This has been resolved on it's own (?) somehow. The phone line to my basement is a splice job.

I am using:
C 128 with Jiffy DOS in 64 Mode
EAGLETERM (I have others, but this one is fine)
C 1541 (newest version), C 1571, C 1581's
1200 b Commodore 1670 modem.

derelict number?

derelict number?

i tried calling it with my cell phone,
it said out of service / service disconnected.

I'm not sure why you're having trouble dialing in... The number most definately is not out of service.

-Andrew

I just tried calling (*finally* got the term program working.. Does the auto-dialer not work properly??!) and I either get "This phone number is out of service or invalid" or a busy signal. I called a few minutes before posting this message.

Cheers,

80sFreak

Okay.. I was able to *connect* by using atdP (pulse dialing) but I get disconnected right after... :( :( I believe I read somewhere about C= modems being very noisy over VOIP.. :(

My next step will be to use my SwiftLink cart with a 56K US Robotics modem once I find a term program compatible with the SwiftLink.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

80sFreak

My next step will be to use my SwiftLink cart with a 56K US Robotics modem once I find a term program compatible with the SwiftLink.

Any suggestions?

As a matter of fact, yes! If you're using a C64, I'd reccomend using Novaterm 9.6, which has full compatibility with SwiftLink/Turbo232 cartridges. You can download that here: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/c64/comm/Novaterm/v9.6/index.html
You'll have to download the three SFX files to get the full program. These are self-dissolving files, so just load and run them to dissolve.

If you're using a C128, then I'd reccomend using DesTerm128 2.01. This is also compatible with SwiftLink/Turbo232 cartridges, and runs in the C128's 80-column mode, so you'll get a much clearer "picture". You can download DesTerm128 here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/c128/comm/index.html
There are three versions of DesTerm128 there. v2.00 contains complete documentation, v2.01 is the best version to use, but there's no documentation included, v3.02 I haven't used, but I've heard it's pretty "buggy". So, I'd reccomend download v2.00 for the docs, but get v2.01 to use. There's an intro screen on v2.01 that says it's a beta-test release and says "do not distribute". Apparently, the author released the version for public use afterwards, but never removed that screen.

Hope this helps! :)

-Andrew
http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs

Back