• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

lol?

Yeah, AOL would've been funnier. Windows is great, but only if you know everything (EVERYTHING) about how it works. AOL software is just bad!

Let's take AIM for example: When it's running, it takes up more CPU & RAM than it should. Turn it off at the task bar, & there's still 1 or 2 executables running in the background taking a few megs!

Same goes for iTunes.

I am still amazed at how "one" adapts to all the new features. I had Win 3.1 going the other day and was right mouse clicking like crazy... nothing happened! Oh ya, right mouse click didn't do anything in 3.1, duh.

Which is why it messes with my brain when I "dual boot" back into Win 2000. Once again, bunch of missing features. I find I don't boot into W2K much anymore because of that.

Chuckle Atari, no, posting meant that I don't use W2K much because I use all those XP features now.

Last Friday, I tried to help a guy who had inherited a 486 DX/2-66 running Windows 95 (on 12 MB RAM!). The scenario was that a lot of important documents had been deleted from the computer sometime between the previous and current owner. Thanks to undelete (is that commonly available in DOS around version 6-7?), I managed to bring back a bunch of documents, but none that matched what we were looking for.

However, within less than 15 minutes of working in Windows 95, I managed to bring up several unrecoverable blue screens of death. I had forgotten how crash prone it is.

Heh. Here's an old Unix joke:

Q. What is MS-DOS?
A. The worlds only virus with a command-line interface!

Of course that could be expanded for Windows (all pedigrees):

Q. What is MS Windows?
A. The worlds only virus with a graphical user interface!

Ok, maybe not all that funny :-/

Back