• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TeleType ideas?

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
A friend of mine gave me a TeleType model 43, which is pretty neat all by itself but I heard of experiments making it a computer interface. Keyboard and printer, I mean. The same friend that gave it to me said that there are indeed single board computers that it can be connected to but I have yet to find a decently written (aka non-engineer talk) site about it. It's neat and works fine (but I have yet to find the right size paper for it[tractor fed, yay!]) and has a db25 serial(?) port on it. Plus the thing weighs a ton and has a lot of room in the case so I wanna make it useful.

Can it be used as a serial printer or something?? I heard it could be hooked to a Kim-1 easily. Any comments??

Nathan

Teletype Interface.

Teletype Interface.

Send me an email and give me a little more informationl. If I recall the model 45 it intefmaces just like any other teletype machine like the Model 33 or 35 . I can dig up the documentation for the interface cable aaround here , and even the parts and the cable iteelf probably.
Ray
Email: borrill610@insightbb.com

I don't have much more info than I posted, I can't find much on the bet about the machine. I did find a little bit using a google search for "teletype model 43." I also found this:

http://vacuumfeedthru.com/tech_libr/rs-232-c.htm

I just did this search, I suppose this is the standard rs232, then. Making a null modem would be easy enough, but I don't know how to interface with it. Like I said before I would like to use it as a serial printer maybe, or an interface for a single-board computer but don't really know where to begin.

http://www.atariarchives.org/bcc3/showpage.php?page=287

This link is to an article at atariarchives. And so far that's about all the info I can get.

Nathan

Re Model 43 TTY

Re Model 43 TTY

Hi Nathan: You are correct about the RS 232C description, but we usually think of it only in terms ov the foltage levels used and the signal lines necessary to do the job,. Assuming that there is NO MODEM built into yours, then all that are needed are the signal lines designated as "Transmitted Data" and "Receioved Data" and one other signalline which isused for a Hand Shaking signal. Of course there is a Ground line as well.
If the modem is built in you have a couple of choices. One is to remove it. a second is to get a Null Modem (or make it), and a third choice if to swear loudly and long and then go back to the first two choices.
If you have access to old magazines, you will find a very food series on the model 33
TTY in Interface Age or it's predecessor, and there are probably other articles on the subject of computer to teletypewriter interface in lots of magazines from the middle to late 70's. Kieth or Salem Ismail of the
VCF are owners of tons of tise magazines.
I will digaround inmy garage and see what I can find. I've got documentation of just about any printer ou could name from those daysand I'll come up with something in a day or two, and get back to you
ASAP.

Ray

Data" and

There doesn't appear to be any modems onboard, the cable comes straight from the back and all that's back there is power supply. Seems to be just a serial cable, plus my friend that gave it to me said he used to have a modem for it so there's another clue, heh. Okay, now to make it do something. I guess it's back to BASIC on this one. Kinda in a hurry, will research and post again later. I never thought I would be doing a teletype project! I like it!

Nathan

re-Model 43 TTY

re-Model 43 TTY

OK, you are in a hurry. So, one more questioin and I'll give you the complete info and you will be able to get it working within minutes. The question is: What are you going to hook it to. It will work with aything you could name from an ALTAIR 8800 to a CDC 6600,but have to know which.
Ray

I replied earlier but I guess it didn't make it on the board here.

I can hook it to either a C128, Toshiba 100CS laptop, or a Mac really soon. I asked my friend and he was using it as a printer only and only put it online once or twice. I think I would like to hook it to the easiest one, maybe the Toshiba? Or would it be better on the Commodore? The Mac in in layaway at the pawn shop so I can't work with it just yet.

Is there any way to make a display to see what is being typed?? Other than the printed paper I mean. Maybe some kind of lcd above the keyboard? Just curious about that is all.

I hope I answered your question. It works so I want it to do something.

Nathan

Teletype With Display

Teletype With Display

THE TELETYPE MODEL 4410 HAS A GREEN TEXT DISPLAY AND REMOVABLE KEYBOARD. I HAVE A MODEL 43 BUT NEVER HAVE RAN A DISPLAY WITH IT,THE 4410 TELETYPE AND MODEL 4425 (AMBER TEXT) BOTH FIT THE DESCRIPTION OF WHAT YOU ARE WANTING TO DO WITH THE MODEL 43.I KNOW THERE ARE SOME OCASIONALLY POSTED ON EBAY IF YOU WANT A LINK.

:lightsaber:

Since they used accustic couplers

Since they used accustic couplers

Maybe go that route and plug an old telephone into a dialup modem and then plug the phone into the teleytype. Just a theoretical Idea. lol

I thank you for both your ideas, but theat teletype is long gone. I posted that three years ago, three moves ago. It didn't make it this far. But still, thanks fr the replies.

Nathan

Back