• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Name of old defender-ish game...

Alloca

Sorry for this annoying question, but I can't remember the name of a great game...

I thought it was by Synapse, but looking at their catalog, I don't see it.

It was a defender like game where you had to destroy ... cities, I think? They were protected by these pulsating pink and white diamond things that you had to eventually shoot through to blow up their core.

The best part was that it could be played co-op. I don't remember but I think it was horizontal split screen.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

You're not thinking of "Survivor" are you? I realize that's not an exact match to your description, but it sounds like there are an awful lot of similarities. I consider the game a true classic, particularly when played with one person steering the ship and the other shooting.

There's a game I know like Defender's except it moves faster has slick graphics, think it was called "Invaders"? Unfortunately I don't remember the cities, all I recall was the aliens picking up the hostages from the ground and you could shoot the alien and rescue the hostage (in mid air) as well as shooting the hostages (which is bad).

CP/M User.

How about Repton? It is only one player though. The Atarimania site is pretty good to browse through, and lets you do an advanced search on game type, i.e. Defender-like games or other horizontally scrolling.

You're not thinking of "Survivor" are you? I realize that's not an exact match to your description, but it sounds like there are an awful lot of similarities. I consider the game a true classic, particularly when played with one person steering the ship and the other shooting.

That was such a *fun* game! :) I didn't know you could have two people play the game like that.. It would have made it a bit easier!

Cheers,

80sFreak

That was such a *fun* game! :) I didn't know you could have two people play the game like that.. It would have made it a bit easier!

Cheers,

80sFreak

I assume it's the same on the Atari version (which I have to try soon) since that was the original, but I played it and have it on the C-64. One person would use the first joystick to steer, the other would use the second joystick to shoot in independent directions (also using the stick). It was also the second person's responsibility to press the bomb (clear all enemies) button. I suppose now that I think about it, it's classic Robotron-style (save for the extra bomb button) and would work quite well with a dual stick setup (though ramp the difficulty level up considerably, since it requires sometimes rather precise maneuvering and aiming).

Shadow World!

Shadow World!

Someone on the old atari forums was able to remember. I wanted to pop back here and drop a note.

What a fun game that was. :)

Back