• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

apple ii 3.5 disks

MattCarp

Experienced Member
I recently bought a copy of ProTerm (communications software). It came on 3.5" disks, and my Apple IIe has two 5.25" UniDisks with the 5.25 Disk Controller card.

So, I decided to buy a 3.5" drive (A9M0106) and now I need to get a controller.

It seems like the Apple 3.5 Disk Controller card (SuperDrive card) is rare? Does anyone know where I can find one?

Also, will the 3.5 Disk Controller allow me to daisy chain my two 5.25 drives, or, will I need to run both controllers?

Thanks, Matt

Well the SuperDrive Card is kind of rare, and comands a high price also. Over $100 most of time I have seen them go for. On the IIgs you have put it into slot 5, this also turns off the 5.25 if my memory servers my right. It was more for the 1.44 drives than 800k.
So for dasiy chaining the 5.25 on it no way. It would be cheaper to get a stock IIgs system that had 5.25s and 3.5 than the SuperDrive Card. You would have more speed and more stock ram and be able to run 99.9% of the IIe software.

The other option to use the 3.5 on IIe would be with a UDC unversal disk controler. These go in the $35-80 range. Then you could dasiy chain 2, 3.5 drives off of them. Not sure you can mix 5.25 and 3.5s on the same card.

3.5 hold more info, but IMO you do not seem to hold up over time as well as 5.25. It is also nice to have more than 3.5 just in case one two or three of them can not read a disk maybe another one could.

A CAFF might be another way to go. CompactFlash on card. Have one for the IIgs but have not had time to use it. Suppose to work well with the RamFast. They sell them new and even a turbo model, which holds 2 cards.
@ GSreactive.

FRED your package should be in the mail this week.

Take Care

apple ii 3.5 disks

Hi,
I don't know if you are still looking for an interface card - if so
I would be pleased to send you one for free :
it is a ASCO 505 IF-98
Apple 3.5 FLOPPY DISK DRIVE INTERFACE CARD (c) 1985
fcc id BCG96AA2C2002
apple computer 603-9107-A
820-0117-A

attached a picture of the card,
let me know if you want it
Matthieu

I recently bought a copy of ProTerm (communications software). It came on 3.5" disks, and my Apple IIe has two 5.25" UniDisks with the 5.25 Disk Controller card.

So, I decided to buy a 3.5" drive (A9M0106) and now I need to get a controller.

It seems like the Apple 3.5 Disk Controller card (SuperDrive card) is rare? Does anyone know where I can find one?

Also, will the 3.5 Disk Controller allow me to daisy chain my two 5.25 drives, or, will I need to run both controllers?

Thanks, Matt

Attachments

• asco.jpg
    asco.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1
Back