• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my new computer case

Powder coat it if you want, but don't plan on sitting next to it for any length of time. Rackmount cases aren't exactly quiet, as I found out on one job where the previous guy thought it would make an awesome desktop machine; I had that beast howling in my right ear all day until I finally just had to drag it into the server room and rack it.

Powder coat it if you want, but don't plan on sitting next to it for any length of time. Rackmount cases aren't exactly quiet, as I found out on one job where the previous guy thought it would make an awesome desktop machine; I had that beast howling in my right ear all day until I finally just had to drag it into the server room and rack it.

What would make it any noisier than my current machine? I have a PSU w/ adjustable fan (always cranked up), I have 2x 5k rpm 40mm fans in the front, 1x 90mm fan in the rear, a slot type vid card cooler.. and 2x 6k rpm 60mm fans bolted to my aftermarket heatsink. my proc runs hot... on top of that, I built spot cooler device. Basically a blower from a 1U fit in to a 3.5->5.25 bay adaptor sealed with plexiglass and calk... blows right across my cpu heatsink when turned on. Sounds like a jetplan when I turn everything up LOL My current chassis is a a full atx tower. Which is very NOT thermally advantagious, however its built well enough that my 300lb fat ass can stand on it and nothing bends, none of that sissy aluminium stuff for me....

sorry got a bit off track. the new chassis only has the two 90mm fans in the front to start with, I'll upgrade those to something beefier im sure. I think I can also bolt some 60s in the rear. Have I mentioned im a big fan of airflow? My damn prescott proc runs very hot, (S478 - 3.0 GHz) it was overheating with stock cooling. If I ever have the funds.. my next machine will be liquid cooled... and thus... almost silent.

Last edited:
Did you make the clear plastic surrounds on the blowers?

Here's my cooling solution for a Seagate 250GB drive that runs really hot. Temp without fan is about 120F. With fan the temp is 84F.

Kent

Attachments

• cooling.jpg
    cooling.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1
For those who may be wondering what the black and chrome thing is that's sitting on top of the computer in the picture...it's an Airtronics radio control transmitter that I've modified for use as a controller for driving games. I've driven RC cars for a long time AND drive left-handed.

It works great plugged into a game port, doesn't work at all when plugged into a USB game port adapter.

Kent

Back