• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

installing TSz07 tape drive

The_Ube

I am trying to connect a tszo7 tape drive to my VAXstation 3100 through the external scsi port. It looks like a normal 68port scsi port. I have a some cables lying around that seem to convert the 50 pin scsi on the tape drive to the 68 pin scsi that I need, but when I connect everything up all I see is pkb0 has 84 errors. Any ideas about how to go about getting this tape drive to work?

After looking around on the internet it would appear that the 68 pin scsi port on the back of the Vaxstation 3100 is different then the standard 68pin scsi-3 connector. Could anyone confirm this?

To be quite honest, I don;t remember the VS3100 having a standard SCSI port at all. Wasn;t it a special cable required?

Either it was the wrong gender, or it was a wider centronics-looking interface.

I know there was something different, as I had to chase down the SCSI cable. I have no more vaxstations, and sadly, the last SCSI cable I had I think got thrown out accidentally in a stack of old useless mac cables.

Tony

Can you use the TSZ07 with a PC

Can you use the TSZ07 with a PC

I also have a TSZ07 I bought a few years ago with the idea of playing with it hooked up to any of my SCSI talking machines.

I hooked it into my Windows XP machine that has a SCSI interface. The SCSI interface sees the tape drive, but Windows doesn't do anything with it. I tried Windows Backup and it also didn't offer the drive as a backup target.

After some quick checking, it appears that Windows doesn't have built-in tape drive support.

I haven't tried Linux, but I don't have Linux drivers for my SCSI adapter.

I understand the tape drive is an OEM'd Cipher Data 955-S, so I wrote an e-mail to National Peripherals who support the old Cipher drives as well as performa a variety of 9-track services.

They wrote back that they only knew about two Windows 9-track programs: NovaStor's backup program and Tape Utility and CHI Corporation's OutRight. They told me that OutRight sells for $750. I went out to the NovaStor site and IIRC the tape utility is $600+ The backup has a personal version for about $75, but that's still too high for me.

I'd just like to write some files out to tape and then read them back. I don't have to recover/restore any data from an old tape. Ideally from a Windows machine.

Have you tried this? Can you recommend any software I could use?

The TSZ07 seems to be a nice drive.

-Matt

Back