• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AST 286 Premium

Valce

Hey, so I'd like to restore and old AST 286 Premium. (Model 80, if it helps)

The only problem is that it didn't come with a monitor or any cables (at all). So I was wondering if you guys could help me find the hardware I need to get it working...

I know it's probably the Series port that'll fit the monitor, but the monitor cables I have don't fit at all. Is there a specific type I should look for?

And does anybody know where (in Toronto, Canada) I can find a keyboard for the thing? I assume the lack of a mouse port means it runs purely in DOS... I called the number for the company but (surprise surprise) it wasn't connected.

Thanks!!!

AST went out of business quite a long time ago sadly. You can get adapters to use a normal PS/2 keyboard on a DIN port one.

I'm pretty sure I have an actual AST AT keybaord around here. I remember using it for a while and it bugged me because the @ character was under the " and vice versa. When I find it, I'll PM you.

I know it's probably the Series port that'll fit the monitor, but the monitor cables I have don't fit at all. Is there a specific type I should look for?

Series? You mean the Serial Port? Nada! The system should have a video_out port. For a 286 it would be a graphics card [that's what they called them back then] or a VGA board or quite likely an EGA board depending on how old it is.

Have you taken the case cover off and looked inside to see if the video graphics board is set into one of the AT slots? Well actually if the card is there, its port would be visible out the back without taking the cover off.

A monitor port is distinctive. Nothing but a monitor can be plugged into it. If the board/port isn't there, it means someone scavenged the board out of it. How did you come into possession of it?

A typical monitor comes with 2 cables, the power cable and the video cable. On some monitors you can detach the cable, others not.

Were there any docs with it? After locating a video-out port, the next question for a 286 is what kind of video is it outputting, EGA or VGA? /OAfurf

It was given to me by a lab at my University, which had it lying around for ages. I assumed it was untouched when it arrived, but I suppose it's more than probable that someone (in the years and years since this computer was used) scavenged a few parts from it.

Is there any chance I can find a replacement board? Or is this computer basically gone? Also, does this mean any monitor will work fine with the computer if the card is replaced?

Also, would it be easier to transfer the remaining components in this computer to a newer one?

Addendum: And thank you for all your replies!! Getting this thing to work is turning into a bit of a nightmare...

Last edited:
It was given to me by a lab at my University, which had it lying around for ages. I assumed it was untouched when it arrived, but I suppose it's more than probable that someone (in the years and years since this computer was used) scavenged a few parts from it.

Is there any chance I can find a replacement board? Or is this computer basically gone? Also, does this mean any monitor will work fine with the computer if the card is replaced?

Also, would it be easier to transfer the remaining components in this computer to a newer one?

Addendum: And thank you for all your replies!! Getting this thing to work is turning into a bit of a nightmare...

Well if you really want to go with yesteryear's technology [the 286 processors were the big cheese which replaced the 8088 processor, but soon the 286 got replaced by the 386 series and then the 486, then the Pentium, Cyrix, AMD and whew! it never ends]. I remember the CISC, the RISC processors.

There are those around who like to tinker with the old hardware and get it up and running but you really need to be of that mentality; you have to also run the old software; it's a 16 bit processor and we've jumped from 8 and 16 to 64, 128, 256 etc. My guess is that you'll be at forever unless you have a geek friend who revels in such challenges.

If I had it I would look to get something a bit more up to date, a turnkey system that runs when you flip it on. I mean by the time you would get a monitor [if the 286 outputs EGA video, you'd have to test the monitor to see if can take it in the age of VGA, SVGA etc.] and video board you might well be putting good money after bad. And we haven't even discussed whether your hard drive [assuming one was left in it] is healthy, what size it is, etc.

I have the advantage of knowing where the Surplus Technology Store is hidden out of sight in a former navy air command base in Scotia [Schenectady] NY. On any day you can go in there and find a refurbished system for very reasonable prices. I've bought several for friends. They also recycle old hardware for a nominal amount. It's that kind of establishment I would look around for and just go look/see. /OAfurf

AST 286 Premium video card

AST 286 Premium video card

Hi!

I am a flight simulator historian trying to boot up a Special Edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator for AST Research on my AST Premium 286 computer but so far I haven't succeeded. I know my floppy disk is good because I was able to boot it up on my IBM PC computer except that I am getting a splitted screen view...!

On my AST computer, I cannot get any image on the monitor when I boot up the flight simulator program. I know my disk drive is good because I can boot up MS-DOS 3.2. The Microsoft program should load automatically. It does on the IBM PC. Could it be the video card? Perhaps the AST monitor I have is not fully compatible with the computer. It is an AST Vision 5V model.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Marc

The only problem is that it didn't come with a monitor or any cables (at all). So I was wondering if you guys could help me find the hardware I need to get it working...

And does anybody know where (in Toronto, Canada) I can find a keyboard for the thing? I assume the lack of a mouse port means it runs purely in DOS... I called the number for the company but (surprise surprise) it wasn't connected.

Thanks!!!

For old parts in Toronto, you might find a keyboard at a Value Village. Monitor would depend on what kind of video card it has. If it is monochrome, I will happily give you a free monitor (I have a bunch stored at my father's house in Whitby).

Also, Active Surplus in Toronto might have stuff. I haven't been there in 15 years or thereabouts, so I have no idea what they've got these days.

Joel

I probably have a couple 101 key keyboards that are AST brand, if you're interested. They may be a little yellowed with age, but you could have one for the cost of postage (from the US). E-mail me, classicelectronicsguy at yahoo (dot) com if you're interested!

-Dan

Back