• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT monitor?

im_an_alien

Experienced Member
I was just at goodwill, and got an XT from a guy who was about to donate it, for free! Unfortunately, it was only the computer; It came with no monitor or keyboard. The only ports on the back are a parallel port and a female serial port (?), and the keyboard port. I have a few large-connector keyboards lying around. Will these work? And where can I find a compatible monitor?

Last edited:
I was just at goodwill, and got an XT from a guy who was about to donate it, for free! Unfortunately, it was only the computer; It came with no monitor or keyboard. The only ports on the back are a parallel port and a female serial port (?), and the keyboard port. I have a few large-connector keyboards lying around. Will these work? And where can I find a compatible monitor?

>A female serial port (?)
This is probably the video connector.
If it is on the same card as the parallel port then you probably have an monochrome or hercules video card.
You can make sure by opening the case- the card probably will have written 'HERCULES' od 'MGA' on it.
For this you need a TTL monochrome monitor- do not try to connect a VGA monitor.

> I have a few large-connector keyboards lying around. Will these work?
This depends, but you can try.
See if on the bottom, there is a switch saying 'XT<>AT'. (then put that on XT).
Some boards might detect it automatically.
Newer keyboards won't support an XT.

Maybe this link is of use for you:
http://www.uncreativelabs.net/xtreview/xtreview.htm

Well, it has a small hole in the casing with "XT" and "Enhanced AT/XT" written above it, but there's no switch inside :confused:. I would assume it got broken off at some point... Now that I tthink about it, I'm not sure if the keyboard works at all, although I think it does... tommorow I'll have to dig out another keyboard and look at it.

You can make sure by opening the case- the card probably will have written 'HERCULES' od 'MGA' on it.
Yeah, they're on the same card, and it sayd "Video P/O" right behind the video port. I can't find anything on it to tell what kind it is, though.

edit: I was just looking to see if I had the 8087, and I noticed the cpu looked different so I looked a bit closer and saw that it was a Fujitsu. After a bit of research I found out that it's an 8MHz! I did not have the 8087 coprocessor though.

Last edited:
If you have a Modem M keyboard from the '80s, they can usually auto-detect if it is an XT or AT system.

I had one of those XT/AT keyboards with the switch missing. I think they had simply removed the XT functionality to reduce cost, but left the hole for the switch (too costly to change the moulds).

I dug out my other large-plug keyboard, and same as the last one; hole with sides labeled "A" and "X", but no swich :( I have an IBM modem M, but it's from the '90s. That won't work with an adapter, will it?

edit: nvm the edit, moved to next post

Last edited:
You can always try...

I know both my Model M's work, one was from an XT (no LED's) and the other from an AT (LED's). Both dated 1986 with the silver metal badge. I would be interested to know when they stopped having the auto-detection.

ok, I'll try to find an adapter, but I have no clue where to get one. I doubt they'd sell them at any of the big computer/electronics stores in my area...

Also, can I use my compaq portable video card in my XT?

Well that'd work tooo, but I was also wondering whether it'd work with an adapter... I think I'll just get a keyboard though.

edit: Also, where would I find such an old monitor?

Last edited:
The adaptor has a chance of not working... whereas the keyboard in the link I showed you will certainly work :)

Monitor... try eBay ;) For your card, you'll need an IBM 5151 monochrome display. A colour CGA display would also work (IBM 5153 Colour Display), but you would need a CGA card.

Since it might be eaiser to come up with an old VGA monitor, you might just consider looking for a compatible 16 bit VGA card (there are lots of old 16 bit VGA cards that will work in 8bit slots) and bypass the monochrome/CGA/EGA monitor hassle.

I've had monitors shipped to me, but there is always an element of risk (I have had several monitors destroyed in shipping).

You said this was an 8 mhz. machine, so I assume it is not an original IBM PC, but a clone.

Oh, I have a few 16-bit VGA cards lying around already! :D I'll look at them.

edit: Found one, now how do I know if it will work? My oldest monitor is from 1992; Do you think that'll work?
edit2: The card is also from '92.
edit3: And it's a Cirrus Logic.

edit4: No, it's an IBM, as far as I can tell. It says IBM on the front of the hard drive, which is the normal XT hard drive, a Seagate ST-412.

Last edited:
Try the 16 bit card, there's a chance it could work. Any VGA monitor will be fine, even a brand new flat screen (provided it isn't DVI)! It's just not the same as using an old 5151 or 5153 though :)

However, you need to remove the old monochrome card and reset the DIP switch settings. Change DIP's 5 and 6 both to ON and you should be set to go. With luck you should be able to get a picture, even with no keyboard.

Dip switch settings for future reference:

xtdips.gif

The "old monochrome card" doesn't have DIP switches - only a single jumper. I have no idea what it is, it could be EGA for all I know.

I believe the DIP switches are on the computers motherboard... Check there... But, if this is a clone, there's a chance the DIP switch settings are different..

The DIP switches are on the motherboard itself. I've yet to see an XT clone with switch settings that are different from IBM's ;)

Check the 5150 vs. 5160 FAQ which is a sticky at the top of this forum. I posted photos of the two types of IBM XT mainboard.

You will have to reset the switchblock on the MB to try the VGA card. If you don't, the computer will just beep an error code at startup and you won't get any video.

The older the VGA video card, the more likely it will work. If you look at the card and can figure the amount of RAM on the card, it may help: all the VGA cards I've seen that have only 256K of RAM work for me; some with 512K work, some don't. Most that have 1Meg. of video RAM will not work.

I know there is a Trident that will not work in an 8-bit slot, can't remember if it is the 8900 or the 9000 model.

Some video cards may be able to auto detect that they're in an 8-bit slot, but most won't. There will probably be a jumper or a switchblock on the card that will have to be changed to get it to work in an 8-bit slot.

You've got to have the jumper/switch set to the right position, otherwise it won't work in a 8 bit slot.

You should go to Total Hardware 99 and try to find your video card.

Just be sure the extra '16 bit part' of the card's connector doesn't touch anything on the MB when you install it (although I've never seen one yet that did, it's just the standard disclaimer.)

If your computer is a true blue IBM XT, it should be marked on the back side of the computer on a silver nameplate: Model 5160. There should also be a nameplate on the front of the computer that says 'Personal Computer XT'.

Can you make a picture?
I'll try, but I don't have much of anything better than a crappy camera phone.

The older the VGA video card, the more likely it will work. If you look at the card and can figure the amount of RAM on the card, it may help: all the VGA cards I've seen that have only 256K of RAM work for me; some with 512K work, some don't. Most that have 1Meg. of video RAM will not work.
How do I do that?

If your computer is a true blue IBM XT, it should be marked on the back side of the computer on a silver nameplate: Model 5160. There should also be a nameplate on the front of the computer that says 'Personal Computer XT'.
I'll look at that.

edit: http://artofhacking.com/th99/v/I-L/50562.htm - This is the 16-bit. It has 1MB of vram. Now I'm looking for the 8-bit one.
edit2: It's not there.
edit3:
062607_1348.jpg

Last edited:
Back