• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCSI IN Windows XP PLEASE HELP PLEASE

as04059

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to be posting, but I have a conner cp30254 hard drive, (<1gb) and I have bought an enclosure for it to run in windws xp, such is my goal. the wiring is proper ad windows XP is recognizing it as a USB mass storage device- problem here is that I need XP to recognize it as a hard disk drive so I can explore the contents within this Conner SCSI drive. There is IMPORTANT business info on this hard drive that i need to recover. ANY information will be of great help. Thank you.

I had absolutely ZERO luck getting any older Conner drive to work with a USB enclosure adapter. It "sees" the device name but that's all, no drive parms ever determined and the drive never becomes "on-line". I have tried 2 or 3 different old drives, all react and act the same, no luck.

oh ya, they were all IDE drives.

Last edited:
Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to be posting, but I have a conner cp30254 hard drive, (<1gb) and I have bought an enclosure for it to run in windws xp, such is my goal. the wiring is proper ad windows XP is recognizing it as a USB mass storage device- problem here is that I need XP to recognize it as a hard disk drive so I can explore the contents within this Conner SCSI drive. There is IMPORTANT business info on this hard drive that i need to recover. ANY information will be of great help. Thank you.

Hi,
In my opinion, if data recovery is your goal, I would stop messing with the external enclosure as they are troublesome creatures. Save it for later once the data is safely recovered.

What I would do is remove the drive, identify its specific make and model and go to the manufacturers site to get the data sheets to ensure you have all your facts straight before doing anything else with it.

Then, I would buy or get an internal SCSI card for that drive and mount it inside a PC. If the data is important enough (sometimes it is) I would build a special "clean PC" just to do this task. Basically, it would be just a dedicated machine with a minimal operating system especially to prevent driver conflicts, etc which might hamper Win XP from recognizing the SCSI card and/or drive.

Once Win XP recognises the card and drive, make a DVD backup of the contents soonest since you never know when that old drive is going to die. Probably, I would dump it directly to another IDE hard drive and make the DVD copy from that.

Best of luck with your project.

Andrew Lynch

No, but the drive is.

What XP are you running, Pro or Home

I'm running win XP Home edition on my laptop. I have a couple desktps floating around the house I will try to get this to work with. Any idea if i will have to run this hard drive outside of windows, or can I run it somehow in XP?

I'm running win XP Home edition on my laptop. I have a couple desktps floating around the house I will try to get this to work with. Any idea if i will have to run this hard drive outside of windows, or can I run it somehow in XP?

Presuming you get an PCI SCSI card with XP drivers and compatible with your drive you should be able to see the contents of the drive in XP.

I think your shortest and best chance of success though is to use a dedicated computer with an internal controller to rescue your data. You should be able to get a good SCSI controller at CompUSA or Fry's or the local computer store.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

scsi hard drive on XP

scsi hard drive on XP

If this is a SCSI hard drive, you'll have MUCH better luck using an Adaptec scsi card... they can be found on eBay for $10... direct connect eliminates lots of problems when using scsi drives...

Agree. You can get most any brand PCI SCSI controller to work eventually but Adaptec is the easiest and best. Make sure it is the right controller for your drive though. There are several version of SCSI around. The most common is the 50 pin connector but they made all sorts for hard disks.

Andrew Lynch

Back