• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help me!My IBM 5155 was broken.

NiNiNiNiNi

My ibm 5155(64-256 XT system) was broken when I powered on.
I found the Capacitor C56 was blown.I snipped the C56,but it cannt work now.Someone could help me?Thanks.

Well, I bet it was this nice pretty blue. Anyway, have to figure out what the values on it were and if you see the + next to one of the metal "legs" on the old cap, you need to get the polarity of the replacement correct too.

Someone else here will likely look up the values and post them here. I don't own one of those.

Someone knows the power supply unit is ok?
The volt is going down (from 5v to 0v) when I turn it on.

Hard to tell what the situation is.
I found the Capacitor C56 was blown.I snipped the C56,but it cannt work now.
Does this mean C56 been removed? If so, that would explain why the supply no longer works.
Can someone tell him the correct values for that capacitor?

C56:10uf 16v
I cannt get this capacitor in China. But my friend is in TX,USA.
Someone can get this capacitor,maybe can help me.
But I dont know the other problems about the motherboard and the power supply unit.
Someone could help me? Thanks alot.

Let's get the power supply working first and then we'll meter the output and start connecting things up one board/device at a time.

This has to be done in a logical progression.

Oh, a nice HUGE power supply cap, no wonder! Yes indeed, like Druid says, "slow logical progression". Something else wrong could have taken out the cap in the first place. You quickly throw it all back together, turn it on, and same thing happens again. Much better to get one thing working at a time.

Only the mainboard and the power supply nothing else,no cards no keyboard,the cap still broke.Someone knows why?
Where can I get the cap? Help me!
Thanks.

Those caps should be available at any electronics store, or from Digikey or Mouser mail-order. I second what others have said, check the power supply outputs and make sure they are okay, when they are, then troubleshoot the board. Make sure there aren't any shorts, chips in backwards, etc and go from there.

I checked the power supply outputs and they are Okay. I don't know how to check the board and where to check the shorts. Could someone help me? By the way someone knows the cap's packaging/case and vendor.Thanks alot.

Last edited:
Back