• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where to get Ultrix?

Thrashbarg

Experienced Member
Hi,

Does anyone know where to get Ultrix or similar? I've got a VAXstation 4000/60 with OpenBSD (because it has framebuffer support) and it is painfully slow :(

Thanks.

If you are not already subscribed you should check out the ClassicCmp mailing list. There are lots of DECheads there, and they should be able to tell you how to get a copy of Ultrix.

OpenBSD is quite a bit more up to date than Ultrix, isn't it? With something as old as Ultrix, I'd almost rather put up with the speed problems of something more modern and functional.

Believe me, it's slow enough to be non functional. I'll look into ClassicCmp.

Thanks

Edit: Just looked at the archives via a search, seems Ultrix is as obscure as Bigfoot. I DO have an Ultrix CD here, Version 4.3, but it doesn't want to boot. It does boot in SIMH on this machine however, but my CPU temperature soon gets too hot to be safe. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ultrix

Ultrix

Im sure I have this somewhere... I will do a search and let you know. If I find it I will drop it off... Be good to catch up!!

BTW, looking for Xenix for the Tandy TRS-80 Model 2000

Cheers :)

HaQue

Hah! Now there's a surprise! How are you going HaQue?

If you could get me a copy of Ultrix - or anything that will boot on my VAXstation - you would make me extremely happy :D. How about a trade, see if you can get it to work on one of your machines. Specifically it's ULTRIX V4.3 Rev. 44.

I'll PM you my details.

Thanks!

Hmmm....are you SURE there's an Ultrix for 4000 series VaxStations?
I have Ultrix 4.x for DECstations (MIPS) somewhere, but when I had a 4000/60, a /90, and a /90a years ago,
I was told there was no Ultrix for them - only for the older Vaxen....

I had a few DECstation 5000/133's, a /240, and a /260 (R4000 - rare as heck!)

I can't say for sure, but I know I looked for a looong time (and this was like 8-10 years ago) and everywhere
I turned, I was told there was none.

Now, VMS Vax wouldn't be an issue, and I;m sure there's some linux and BSD flavors for it.

To give you an example, if you look at this PDF on HP's site:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP3361/SP3361PF.PDF

You never see ANY vaxstation 4000 series mentioned.

Tony

Tony, yea I was kind of worried about that. It would explain why it boots on SIMH but not my 4000.

Makes me wonder why the guy I got it from had a copy though. Perhaps he had another machine which it did boot on.

Looks like I'll either have to stick with OpenBSD or get a copy of OpenVMS. I have a heap of VMS CD's here but none boot either! They're not supposed to, they all return with "NOSUCHFILE".

Thanks.

There are specific instructions on booting VMS - I think the manuals are online at HP.com somewhere.

It's not just tell it to boot, and that's it. I DO remember that.

Tony

Yea, there are many options for it. The main one is to select a partition to boot from: boot/x0000000 dka0

I've got a copy of OpenVMS 7.3 which works now, just waiting on my license :)

License woes

License woes

I assume you already joined DECUS, oh, what are they calling it now? encompASS ? :rolleyes:

T

Heh. I actually got a response from the US branch of Encompass. Seems the party that's letting me down on the license front is openvmshobbyist.com - been waiting for the database to be updated for about a week now. It could also be that Encompass haven't updated them, which wouldn't really surprise me. Either way, how long does it usually take?

I haven;t done that in a loooooong time.
Last I was a member, it was still DECUS!!

Doesn't the vms hobbyist site just need your info plus membership number?
Or they have to get something direct from encompASS?
(I love that!) They changed the whole user group when it became encompASS. For private individuals, it USED to be free.Now I think it's $100/year AND you have to pay for the media.

Gotta give 'em credit, though - anything HP gets their hands on, they do a spot-on job of screwing up! Take Alpha, VMS, Compaq Proliant servers, um, should I continue?

Tony

Back