• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Found pdp modules

kazol

When I was throwing away trash at the dump, I saw ~10 pdp modules 35x35cm in size and a TK50 tape drive, along with ~30 IC DIP sockets. They are dated from 1982 and have "digital" on them. The boards also had labels such as "VCO" and "4MB memory." Unfortunately there was no main motherboard.

Does this have any value or is it junk? If it's trash is it possible to salvage the ICs and make a small computer?

Well, the VT100 is an EXTREMELY famous terminal, made by DEC (digital equipment corp). Likely you just have the insides of some of their terminals. Would be important to someone trying to fix their VT100 and get it working again but not enough stuff there to make a working computer. (All you IEEE freaks, quiet now). That assumes any of those boards would still work after bouncing off the rotting vegetables in the bin.

Ah, PDP...

Ah, PDP...

Brings back fond memories.

My first introduction to "real" computers (as in: not stuck in a Navy Fighter jet) was the PDP-11/70 we had at NAS Oceana, back in the early 1980's. It was the main computer for the whole base, and was used for just about anything you could think of.

I was an avionics instructor for the F-14 FRAMP (Fleet Replacement Aviation Maintenance Personnel), and somehow got picked to maintain the TEVS question bank, which was on the 11/70. I had another "collateral duty" to fill in for the full-time student coordinators when one would go on vacation.

To make a long story short: basically I made friends with the DP Chief (who maintained the PDP-11/70) and our Senior Chief (who handed out assignments), and wangled an account on the PDP-11/70 that had console access (most other folk had to use a very restricted menu system) and BASIC, which is where I got my start in programming and computer use.

Back