• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

8 Bit ISA IDE

Easter

I am looking for a 8 Bit ISA , IDE-Controller. Here is a list of what i am talking about http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy-controllers/8isa_1.html

I would give you $25 (including shipping to Germany).
(That would be $10.40 for the shipping and $14.60 for you (the card).

Maybe someone can help me, cause' i didn't find a place to buy such a card and would love to get the NEC v20 ( 8088 )-System to work...

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:
Now that is going to be very difficult. I did hear they do exist, but I've never seen one.

Maybe SCSI is an alternative. There are lots of ISA scsi cards on ebay in europe, like this one 200143022204, AVA-1502 or this one 320151096433. But I'm not sure if they would work in an 8bit slot.

Hmm....do they really make 8-bit IDE controllers that don't contain ROMs? I thought that the whole point of the controller was to provide the BIOS extensions.

Anyway, more importantly...when you buy an 8-bit XT IDE controller, make sure it is one that works with 16-bit IDE drives. There is such a thing as an 8-bit IDE HDD, and some controllers only support those.

Yeah, I'm kind of chuckling too.

You can get an 8 bit SCSI card without BIOS ROMs on it because presumably the machine can still boot and load SCSI drivers in software. You can also get 16 bit IDE cards without BIOS for AT class machines - those just use the hard disk BIOS built into the motherboard. But I don't think there is any such thing as an 8 bit IDE card without a BIOS, because there are no device drivers you can load after booting to drive it.

Unless somebody has seen such a thing .. but in theory, its existence is pointless.

Yeah, I'm kind of chuckling too.

You can get an 8 bit SCSI card without BIOS ROMs on it because presumably the machine can still boot and load SCSI drivers in software. You can also get 16 bit IDE cards without BIOS for AT class machines - those just use the hard disk BIOS built into the motherboard. But I don't think there is any such thing as an 8 bit IDE card without a BIOS, because there are no device drivers you can load after booting to drive it.

Unless somebody has seen such a thing .. but in theory, its existence is pointless.
There does exist some. At a computer show some years ago (late 90's?), I saw some. They were 8-bit cards, but had no BIOS ROM on them.

May you see that this thread is reffering to that one.

So the SCSI-Card i bought is not bootable :sadangel:

I found a IDE-Card here on ebay , which is bootable, but come on , that price is far too high...

>>> So i ask my question in a more general way : What do you recommend me to use in a 8088-System to boot and to store the apps on ?

I would look for an older 8 bit SCSI card with a BIOS chip known to work in a PC XT or other similar 8 bit ISA bus.

The Trantor T130 is a good choice. The Trantor T128 might work. Certain Future Domain cards are known to work too, although the version of the BIOS chip makes a difference. There are existing threads on this forum that you can search for.

@Evil Dragon

Likely what you saw at the computer show were not IDE cards, but proprietary CD-ROM controllers. I would guess Panasonic MKE interface, as that one uses the same connector as an IDE card.

@Evil Dragon

Likely what you saw at the computer show were not IDE cards, but proprietary CD-ROM controllers. I would guess Panasonic MKE interface, as that one uses the same connector as an IDE card.
these were definitely IDE, they had the middle pin missing, the Panasonic ones need that pin, or atleast don't have the pin missing..

I remember it saying "AT Required" though, so it must have only used an 8-bit slot to preserve the 16-bit ones...

Hmm...I don't think any of those card will work for Easter. The first and third ones are really funky, and I'm not even sure what they're for...and the second one is quite nice, but is infact a 16-bit ISA card.

Those GH and GK chips sure look like could be bios to me too. Google comes up nada. Plus the one big chip labeled "PD2K".

Back