• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PetrOS - The OS that didn't...

chuckcmagee

Veteran Member
Looking around in Trumpet Winsock land, I see that the Winsock man was going to release an OS to compete with Windows -- PetrOS! Well, I never heard of PetrOS until today. I did some googling to see if there were any binaries of the OS around but I sure couldn't find anything. I did see something about "personal issues with the author" so maybe something happened where it never made it to release. Anyway, interesting, useless but interesting.

Heard about PetrOS a while back, but that's about as far as my interest went.

I "used" to be an OS junkie. I'd have at least three or four operating systems up and running at the same time, on different computers here in the office. I also had an old P-II 350 MHz system with a removable hard drive (and fairly generic hardware). I had four drive trays for that system, and I'd use it to test any and all operating systems that would run on x86 CPUs.

I guess time and age have caught up with me now. I have a couple of Mac's running OS X, my OpenBSD system, a couple of Winders boxes and the rest of my junk runs Linux. With the exception of my vintage computers. There just isn't time enough for everything anymore, so something had to go. :-(

Indeed! My laptop with 7 distros of linux on it has been wiped. I was doing all the linux guys with only a 26.4K dialup modem. No wonder I'm totally burned out on downloading updates. Gentoo and FreeBSD were fun for awhile, then got to be a pain - all those recompiles (I was doing a lot of "Portage" crud, hence the recompiles). And yes, I tried BeOS! Not enough NIC hardware support and the current Zeos or whatever it is is too expensive to risk attempting.

Back