• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

[HELP] DOS terminal / comm program with Telnet Connectivity?

John Draugr

Experienced Member
Hi all.

I wanted to ask if anyone is aware of a DOS based terminal or communications program that supports telnet connectivity, and the ability to conduct file transfers via X, Y or Z Modem protocols?

The last time I was working on this, I setup my Compaq Portable II system and got it working with the newly installed NIC. I was able to view my test webpage (slowly) and even see email, so the computer was connecting to the Internet. What I found hard to find was a DOS Comm program that had both elnet connectivity and then X, Y or Z modem transfer protocols. The few Telnet programs I found did not seem to have any method for downloading or uploading files.

The main reason I'm looking for such a program is to connect to vintage BBSes that now support telnet connections. There are plenty of programs that can do all that I described above, but they are all for Windows. I'd love to find a similar program to MTelnet, but for DOS and 286/386 type systems. Hell, I'd be really happy if there was a PROCOMM like package for DOS that had telnet connectivity built in.

So, I wanted to ask if anyone here might know of a program with the above features, that works in MS-DOS, or DR-DOS on 286/386 systems.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
John

I wanted to ask if anyone is aware of a DOS based terminal or communications program that supports telnet connectivity, and the ability to conduct file transfers via X, Y or Z Modem protocols?

I believe later versions of Qmodem had zmodem built-in (they certainly had x and y). Peck around for a shareware version, it should still be floating around the 'net somewhere.

Just curious, does QModem have Telnet connectivity? If so, I can't believe I didn't think of looking for it earlier.

Thanks to all who have responded.

John

Nathan,

Did you see TELNET connections in term.exe? I just looked at it, and did not see any mention of Telnet. I'm also tired and going to be heading off to bed in a sec, so I may have missed it. Let me know if you did indeed see telnet ability in term.exe

Thanks

PS: That version of QMODEM that was posted above, apparently doesn't have Telnet access either. It may be that only the Win 3.x ver of QModem had Telnet, if it did at all. If anyone has a DOS ver of Qmodem or Procomm that definitely has Telnet connectivity, please let me know. I'd like to get a copy of it.

Possible Solution

Possible Solution

If you're going to be using this DOS machine at the house, a possible solution might be to set up a Linux computer with a serial connection. You could use any DOS-based modem program to connect, via a null modem cable, then use the Linux box to surf.

I know it isn't the same as a direct connection, but it would replicate what we used to have to do in "the old days", when we had a dial-up account to a Unix/Linux server and would use the standard tools (pine, lynx, finger, telnet, etc...) to do our Internet exploration.

I looked again and you are correct, there was nowhere you could tell it to use telnet. I looked at another wyse terminal emulator, and it was the same thing, no telnet.

I am inclined to agree with DoctorPepper, that seems the way to go. Having a gateway machine (or even an emulator on the main machine).

Just starting my own little project like this one, also. I did find a dos terminal that you might be able to make work. Lots of settings to take advantage of. I may be using this one, also.

http://www.johnnypops.demon.co.uk/wiseterm/

Nathan

Back