• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 3.0 on Pentium (retro fit to 386?)

Jedinovice

OK, this could be interesting.

Topic: legacy issues with running Windows 3.0 on a Pentium.

Reason: My favoured OS is Windows 3.0 which I have used happily on a 386SX for many years, and still hope to do so. But… I have got married and, while I am waiting to get my wife with me in the UK (she’s Indonesian!) I am anticipating a need to reduce loading time and need for a more legacy gaming environment (for when I am knackered and need time out!) The Athlon XP I expect the missus to take over. Also, I have need of some more resource hungry S/W running like Access 1.0 for a while. It’s a teeny bit slow on a 386SX. I have no intention of running another OS (xcept 3.1 in conjunction with 3.0) as that OS, for it’s problems just works for me! Don’t ask!

Anyways, I am considering (only considering mind) running Windows 3.0 and associated apps on an old P75 I saved from work tipping. It’s dull old Dell optiplex. Worthy but, well, dull.

I attempting running up the usual components and things and hit a few problems. So I’m doing a technical feasility study here. Here are my issues/questions!

Keyboard. I am determined to have a full micro switch clicky keyboard on the PC. But the machine was not designed for such. I have an IBM PS1 clicky keyboard and an AT style clicky keyboard which I can connect via Din to PS2 adaptor. But both keyboards respond intermittently. When the P75 is fired up sometimes the keyboards fly… and sometimes they don’t. The PS/1 keyboard can be ‘dead’ for weeks and not fire up at all but when plugged into a work PC it lit up every time. Is there a timing issue here? Can it be ‘got around?’ Actually, the PS/1 keyboard can be dodgy even on the 386 but I can’t detect a loose connection. It’s all a bit strange. The AT keyboard (from a 286 luggable) responds sometimes but other times it’s ‘DOA’ and requires a reboot at which point it flies.

Display: The P75 has a built in S3 graphics card/chip. I am limited to Windows 3.0 drivers. I installed a Western digital (read ‘Paradise’) SVGA ISA card and that ran up fine. But I am curious as to whether I can use that S3 chip at all. I naturally assumed I couldn’t and didn’t try hard (having software problems in my earlier attempt to get her flying.)

One other option (which would be preferable in principle) would be to fit a faster AMD or Intel 386 m’board in the Dell. A friend in the US is offering me a number of boards of varying dimensions. But I wonder if a Pentium 75 power supply is suitable for a 386.

Thoughts? This is an open ended query and I am in no desperate rush though my friend will probably want to offload the m’boards to me ASAP so there refit option is of interest.

Many thanks in advance!

Er, no I don’t. I’ll summarise my questions (sorry if I threw you!)

The Pentium has an inbuilt S3 video chip. Is there ANYWAY I can use this via Window 3.0? Somehow I doubt it but I’m checking. (I am not aware of compatible drivers.)

None of my clicky click keyboards fly constistantly. Why might this be?

Can a 386 M’board be used with a Pentium capable PSU? Would there be insufficient power (as opposed to Wattage.)?

Many thanks. I don’t know the answers to these!

Cheers!

You might be able to use the built-in S3 chip through either a generic 640x480x256 driver, or if you do some digging, a generic "S3" driver. But your best changes are Windows 3.11 for workgroups, not 3.0. In fact, there's no reason you should ever run 3.0 since 3.1 added all of the graphics and multimedia support.

Keyboards don't "fly" -- huh? Are you throwing them hard enough? :) I'm still not sure what your question is, but just hang out on ebay or thrifts for a good old IBM Model "M" keyboard. It will work and last a lifetime.

A 386 motherboard cannot be used with a Pentium. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that.

Generally any Pentium power supply that is a standard AT style will work with a 386 AT style motherboard. So if you are asking can you stick a generic 386 AT style motherboard into a generic AT pentium case then I would say yes. But since you say the pentium motherboard has built in video I would think it is a PS/2 type case and you will have issues with the power supply and the case holes.

If your pentium motherboard uses S3 964 or 968, try finding Windows 3.0 drivers for S3 911 or 928. If your pentium motherboard uses S3 864, 868 or any of the TRIO chipsets, try finding S3 801 or 805 drivers. I believe that S3 had a reputation for making their newer cards backward compatible with the old drivers. You won't be able to use any of the features available on your "modern" s3 chipset, but I'm sure it beats generic VGA.

Back