• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Power Mac 7100/80 - KEEP IT, SELL IT OR TOSS IT?

lindsyj

Hello!

We're doing some major housekeeping and I'm reclaiming the desk that has my old (working) PowerMac 7100/80 with original monitor, keyboard and mouse that I bought around 1996.

How do I find out if it's worth anything? Any advice?

Thanks! Tina

PowerMac 7100/80

PowerMac 7100/80

Hi Tina,

I've got a 7200/90 that I picked up when it was left outside by someone with their weekly garbage ... but down to business.

When I search on Ebay or other sources of used computers, 10 year old Macs appear to have little value for resale (shipping seems to cost more than the PC and its monitor).

But I do notice some people carve them up for parts and sell them that way.

Unless you're in need of money and have the time, I'd probably just donate it. Lots of churches/synogogues/etc take old machines like this as free donations, then sell them for somewhere between $10 to $30 at their annual rummage sales.

Or make some geek type really happy and give it away free on www.FreeCycle.org or www.CraigsList.org.

I could be wrong but it's probably not worth your time to try to sell.

Best of luck.

Have to agree. Not much of a market for even the oldest of Macs unless it's been signed by God, Moses and, at least, three disciples.

Even then, you'd probably only get 80 bucks for it :)

thanks!

thanks!

ha.. too funny. It doesn't look like it's been touched by the hand of God, so... it's probably not worth too much.

I can't stand throwing things away that might be of use to someone else. I'll check around locally and see if I can find someone with a use for it first. My husband has an old PC in the house too... can't wait to see that one go! ha.

Can anyone tell me the best way to completely delete all of my personal information from the machine? I would kind of like to leave the applications on - but I think I would just make my life easier to wipe off the whole thing but I don't think I have the original apps... hmmm.

thanks all!

Removing Personal Info

Removing Personal Info

I can tell you how to remove personal info from Windows PCs (not easy if you're thorough!) but don't know with the Mac.

The only way to wipe the drive while keeping the apps in place is to find a shareware program to secure erase or use norton utilities. Don't worry about keeping the apps on, chances are somebody wanting this computer will have a mac already. A 7100 would be for fun or hobby (to use as a classic mac to playing around with old software or running MkLinux on it for instance).

So, If you really want it secure use a bootcd and at least low level format the drive with Drive Setup.

ha.. too funny. It doesn't look like it's been touched by the hand of God, so... it's probably not worth too much.

I can't stand throwing things away that might be of use to someone else. I'll check around locally and see if I can find someone with a use for it first. My husband has an old PC in the house too... can't wait to see that one go! ha.

Can anyone tell me the best way to completely delete all of my personal information from the machine? I would kind of like to leave the applications on - but I think I would just make my life easier to wipe off the whole thing but I don't think I have the original apps... hmmm.

thanks all!
So does it definitely got to get gone? Someone here would take it, if so. If not, your husband could get into PC-Mac networking and general overall computer fun! If it were me, I'd keep it (to the chagrin of my wife).

Nathan

So does it definitely got to get gone? Someone here would take it, if so. If not, your husband could get into PC-Mac networking and general overall computer fun! If it were me, I'd keep it (to the chagrin of my wife).

Nathan

Or, you could give it to me :p I'm a major mac user, or at least a blooming one.
Sorry, this was a shameless plug (I know), but I own ZERO vintage computers with PowerPC, If you dont consider a busted 3500c and a Imac g3 vintage. :huh:

Or, you could give it to me :p I'm a major mac user, or at least a blooming one.
Sorry, this was a shameless plug (I know), but I own ZERO vintage computers with PowerPC, If you dont consider a busted 3500c and a Imac g3 vintage. :huh:

Woo-hoo. If you want some vintage PowerPC, I've got plenty of spares that I'd be willing to trade for some vintage IBM gear (if you've got any spare IBM.)

I've got four Power Mac 7100's (the midrange from the very first batch of PowerPCs,) three PowerBook 5300c's (the very first PowerPC notebooks,) plus a few duplicates of later ones. If you want a 68040, I've got a couple Quadra 700's, too. (The first 68040s.)

I'm more than happy to send them to another collector either for the cost of shipping alone, or much better, in pure trade for something I'm looking for. (We each pay our own shipping costs, and that's it.)

On topic, I think the other guys summed it up real well..

Salvation Army and Goodwill... :neutral:

I myself have spotted a couple Power Macs before, and a friend of mine owns one, but it is business owned (Yes, even this shocked me, too! :confused:). well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the best deal.

(P.s: No, I've gotten several good deals the week. thanx anonymous-freak :D)

Good luck dropping it off at a church or someplace. They are great computers to have, though. Be a shame to get rid of it, but it's hard to have to practice Mac OS, since most people I know downcast the OS, and don't even care to learn it.
(They like having their precious Windows, yech! :neutral:)

I'm probably the worst example of a Pro-mac user, since I'm using a Pentium Celeron M with XP Home Edition right now! :p

Good luck.

Back