• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga mice - How common?

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,

My Amiga's mouse is defective. It scrolls horizonally but not vertically. I've cleaned the rollers etc., but it seems to be a problem in the electronics.

Question is, how common are these kind of mice? It has the kind of D connector that makes it look as if it could be replaced by an older serial port mouse? Perhaps not though?

I once made an Amiga mouse from a DEC mouse (it could just as easily have been a pc mouse), it's not incredibly difficult, don't ask me the pinout, but amigas just take the raw "quadrature" signals from the X & Y roller's opto encoders.

Just thinking about it, chances are that it's just the cable that's gone duff at the mouse end

Last edited:
As recently as yesterday, I even saw adapters for PS/2 mice still selling. I'd be willing to bet somewhere there is an USB to Amiga mouse adapter too, although I haven't looked for one. These adapters are a bit pricy, but once you have it (and it doesn't break down), you can plug in as many cheap PC style mice as you wish. Since the Amiga mouse generally is a simple two button story (but has support for a third button IIRC), you would not lose any function with connecting a more advanced mouse.

Hi,

My Amiga's mouse is defective. It scrolls horizonally but not vertically. I've cleaned the rollers etc., but it seems to be a problem in the electronics.

Question is, how common are these kind of mice? It has the kind of D connector that makes it look as if it could be replaced by an older serial port mouse? Perhaps not though?

I have a box of them around here, if you are still in need. Drop me an e-mail at: kaptain-skitzo(at)Comcast.net and put something about Amiga Mouse in the subject line so I know it's not spam.

Back