• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

parity error

waltb

hello ; after boot up i get blue screen messgae ; "parity memory error ,
system halted " .
i replaced memories , cpu ( pent. 233 ) and bios battery .
help . WALT

First off what brand/model of motherboard are you using? Some require very specific memory types.

Second...
??? The things you replaced should have nothing to do with memory and should have no effect on your problem.

The causes of that error are as follows

1. You have a setting in the bios set for parity when you have NON-Parity memory installed

2. You have a motherboard that requires parity, ecc, buffered edo dimms or some other strange memory type and you have not installed the correct type of memory.

3. Your memory has failed - try another set of parity modules

4. Your motherboard has some type of chipset or memory controller failure and is inop (unlikely)

So what I would do is to try the easiest fixes first.

If you can enter the bios look around for a memory setting for Parity, ECC or Registered and set it to Non-Parity or Parity = NO or Off. On occasion there is even a jumper for parity or non-parity but that is very rare on Pentium motherboards, if you have one set it for non-parity as parity ram, although cheap is sometimes difficult to locate in a stack if you don't know what it looks like.

If you can't do that the next thing I would do is try some 9 chip memory modules (aka parity) and remove any non-parity modules in the machine. If you machine is one of a handful that must have parity (like micronics or compaq servers) you will find the error is solved by having the correct memory.

If neither of those help you may have a bad set of memory of your motherboard is crapped out.

Good Luck

Back