• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage computer --> PC virtual disk technologies

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,

Anyone know of any software/hardware (or just software) combinations which allows a vintage machine to access a PC (preferably a Windows PC) or maybe a memory card to run disk images.

In other words, to the vintage machine, the PC (or card) simply seems like a large bootable drive.

I've found examples of things that do this for a few machines, but there may be more about I don't know about. The ones I've found so far are:

Anyone heard of any others, especially for the machines listed in my signature?

I've very keen on these devices as disk drives and disks themselves seem the most vunerable parts of vintage computers. Although it does deminish the vintage experience somewhat, these things are a way to enjoy vintage consoles without the worry of disks or drives wearing out.

Last edited:
The X-series of cables work with IEC floppy drives, so it applies to both VIC-20 and C64 (and C128, Plus/4 etc). They won't work on the PET with IEEE floppy drives, but instead you could use the C2N232. I happen to own a few surplus units of the C2N232I, so if anyone wants one, PM me for a price and shipping quote. Unfortunately they'd have to start at approx 29 USD + shipping.

On the Amiga, you could load CrossDOS or a free alternative to read PC floppy disks. Many computers like the BBC could in theory have its floppies read and written on a PC disk drive if it is connected to a good FDC. Maybe I misunderstood your question, so you really want options where two computers are linked, rather than means of file transfers?

Maybe I misunderstood your question, so you really want options where two computers are linked, rather than means of file transfers?

It's more than just a way to transfer files. I am looking for devices and/or software which enables the vintage computer to boot from a virtual boot disk contained either on a linked PC or on a memory card. The old computer thinks it's connected to a disk drive, and can read/write disk images contained on the PC hard drive or memory card.

Today (Saturday) has been a productive day. Actually the last few days I've got a fair bit of stuff done.

It started when I received my order of three uIEC/SD cards from Jim Brain. That is a relatively new interface related to the sd2iec interface but with a larger Atmel chip which theoretically can be loaded with more complex firmwares.

uiec-sd.jpg

While testing that one, I found a loose wire on my VIC-20 Mega-Cart prototype #1. It has been around a while and doesn't run so well anymore, but then again it is the very first prototype, quite different from the production units soon to be for sale. I soldered the wire back in place and the cartridge again works better.

The next thing was debugging my ZX Spectrum divIDE interface mentioned above. A friend of mine loaned me his equally non-working unit, from which I swapped the three GAL 22V10D chips. Voila, now my interface again works! :-D His however has some other fault; all chips tested OK so it must be some bad solder job.

A few days ago I bought another, homemade MMC2IEC interface for the Commodore computers. This came without connectors and in an untested state. I spent some time looking up the schematics and Atmel pinouts, took a chance and plugged it in. After some fiddling with command syntax and a misunderstanding about which file systems it supports (FAT32 ok, FAT16 not so much), I got it to work. Then I looked up that a newer firmware was available so I reflashed this Atmel and now this device is almost as powerful as the uIEC/SD mentioned above.

mmc2iec.jpg

It feels really nice to get so relatively much done in one day or two, and still only half the weekend has gone. Even better to think about now I have working memory card solutions for the VIC/C64/C128, Amiga 1200, ZX Spectrum, BBC Micro/Master and Atari 8-bit plus the C2N232I which also works with PETs.

I only need something for MSX, Oric-1 and perhaps Sord/CGL M5, then I'm mostly set. Well, Acorn Electron too but it isn't such a high priority. I suppose asking for an IDE interface or memory card device for such exotic computers as the COMX 35 and vTech Laser 2001 is a bit asking too much, but certainly not impossible: both have decent expansion options and once had both floppy drives and other stuff. I don't really care for Sinclair QL and TRS-80 CoCo, those will probably be on my FS list one day.

Last edited:
Back