• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

using commodore monitor as TV

evildragon

Veteran Member
I'm trying to use my Commodore 64 monitor as a TV also. I have an AV switch box connected, and when using the C64, it's fine, good picture, but when the cable box is selected, it's audio buzzing town, with white bands galore on the picture.

Is it that strictly of a monitor that it can't work with TV?

(this is the Teknika MJ-22 3rd party monitor btw).

When on the iPod, it's a perfect picture, just like the C64.

(picture is a DVD recording from live TV being played from my iPod)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/c64mon.jpg

The cable box is digital, so it's not a reception thing.

Last edited:
I used mine for a long time. I was using the AV jacks before one started to get loose. Mine is a 1702, what model is that? Does it have a whole bunch of jacks on the back??

I have a blue maglite on my desk, too :) They rock.

Nathan

I used mine for a long time. I was using the AV jacks before one started to get loose. Mine is a 1702, what model is that? Does it have a whole bunch of jacks on the back??

I have a blue maglite on my desk, too :) They rock.

Nathan
mines a 3rd party Teknika MJ-22, with a manufacturer date of 86..

It has the following:

Inputs:
Composite
Separate Video (where the Composite input becomes Luma input via a switch)
TTL RGBI

Outputs:
Composite
Separate Video (where the Composite output becomes Luma output via the same switch as for input)

I don't have the outputs connected to anything.

Uh, does the digital cable TV box output composite video or thereabouts? No RF signal or other stupid stuff that your monitor of course would not understand? If you get composite or separate video from the digital TV, it probably should work. Perhaps it is a configuration matter?

I might be pulling this out of my @$$ here, but try pulling the audio. (Go & buy a $20 set of computer speakers instead(not the $10 ones, they're basically just paper w/ magnets glued to them))

One thing you might want to try, if your digital box has an S-Video out, you could rig a cable to plug into the S-Video and then into the luma/chroma on your monitor. S-Video is just a new plug that combines luma and chroma into one cable. That's something you'd have to make yourself though...

-Andrew

Yea, I made one of those cables once before. It wouldn't work either with the cable box, but would work with my PlayStation.

hold on, I just re-read your first post. You said cable box, did you mean a switch? Or do you mean a cable TUNER box?? it has to go through a VCR or something else, cause it's using lots of frequencies that the monitor can't pick up. Cause if it works with the C=, and works witht he Playstaion and iPod, something basic is wrong. Try using a VCR or dvd player on it, and then try to run the cable box *through* that.

The switch won't filter out the odd freq's that the cable box uses. AFAIK. I could be way off base, though, and not understanding.

Nathan

It's a cable box, a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD, in which I was using an AV switchbox to allow my NES, iPod, Commodore 64, and Cable box to use the same monitor...

It takes digital signals and outputs NTSC Composite/S-Video, and has an on-screen EPG. (it also has a Component HDTV output, but the Composite is strict 480i NTSC)..

It's standard NTSC.

I actually fixed it. Unplugging my HDTV from the HD jack, and the buzzing and noise went away. Seems my HDTV's ground interferes with the monitor.

So as seen now, it's perfect now. (via S-Video)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/monwork.jpg

Good that you found the problem, and probably it would've been the same if you replaced the monitor with any old TV whose ground is not common with the other equipment. I think the phenomenon is called "floating ground" in electronics?

LOL, I see I'm not the only fan of Adult Swim here!

I wish I had a gfx card that outputed NTSC via composite so I could simply run a cable across my room to my monitor...

Oh & BTW NTSC is also capable of 240p.

LOL, I see I'm not the only fan of Adult Swim here!

I wish I had a gfx card that outputed NTSC via composite so I could simply run a cable across my room to my monitor...

Oh & BTW NTSC is also capable of 240p.
I know NTSC can do 240p, never said it wasn't. ;)

However, this cable box knows only the 480i standard.

Last edited:
Back