• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone familiar with NTSC version of VTL/Dick Smith VZ200?

Bill_Loguidice

Veteran Member
I recently acquired a VZ200 (just arrived today), which I thought was an Australian Dick Smith variant, but it turns out it's actually (luckily) a genuine NTSC version from VTL (VTech/Laser). I'm shocked because I never knew they had actually released this in North America, though the seller was Canadian, so it may have been limited to there. Anyone have any knowledge about this NTSC version? Everything on the Web seems to heavily favor the Australian Dick Smith variation and makes no mention of a release in NTSC-centric territories.

An NTSC version of the VZ200?? That's a surprise to me also!

I won't be able to try it out for maybe a day or two - I just finished my taxes last night and have to take care of some photos for a new article tonight - but it has a genuine NTSC sticker on the underside and all the correct power supply rear markings. The power supply may or may not be original, but it certainly looks as though it could be.

Yes. I guess like all Asian designers and manufacturers, Video Technology of Hong Kong couldn't afford to ignore the North American market so a few non-PAL units were made. I've never heard of it been sold there though, but obviously a few were, unless this was modified locally (i.e in North America by the distributor).

Dick Smith Ltd. never manufactured any computers of their own but they used to agressively brand units with their own name for exclusive distribution in Australasia, if the Dick Smith CAT and Dick Smith System 80 is anything to go by. I'm assuming (but don't know for sure) they did the same with the VZ200, so if the Dick Smith name is not there it's probably not one of theirs.

Is there any indication of the North American distributor on the case?

The entry and visitor comments on old-computers.com confuses me a bit:

There was also a VZ-200 sold in Germany by Video Technology that seemed to be identical to our Laser 200 (same case and 4 KB RAM), but in PAL version.

It sounds like the original Laser 200 would not be a PAL machine? On Old-Computers they also have an original price quote in USD ($99) which suggests it once was sold in the USA?

In any case, it sounds like a great find, uncommon or not.

Back