• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 1.01

Druid6900

Veteran Member
I have a friend with a complete set of original Windows 1.01 5.25 inch floppies (Sleeves, no box) and I have been unable to find any sold in recent history on FBay, so, although I know you can't give me an exact number, anyone care to guess at the relative value?

TIA

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it without the original box or manuals. I would be considerably more more my copy of 1.03 with manuals and such, which is a huge deciding factor in this stuff.

Of course, my copy was free!

--Ryan

Re: Windows 1.01 value

Re: Windows 1.01 value

I just lost an auction a few weeks ago on Windows 1.03 in Australia. It ended up around $130US and it was the disks, manual, and license (no box).

I imagine it would likely fetch a similar amount or a little higher depending on the facts included in the auction. If you check disk the disks for errors (probably just report the results rather than attempt a repair) and show that it's a complete set you'll get a very good sum. It's possible without the manuals it could fetch less, but I know I'd bid on it again. When I'm not at work I can report the actual end bid (I think I lost it last minute) although if you search for "Windows 1.03" on completed auctions you can probably find it.

- John

I have a friend with a complete set of original Windows 1.01 5.25 inch floppies (Sleeves, no box) and I have been unable to find any sold in recent history on FBay, so, although I know you can't give me an exact number, anyone care to guess at the relative value?

TIA

I saw one on ebay this summer. It sold for slightly over 100$ (about 110$, I don't remember the exact number).

*edit*
But that was with the original manuals and box.

I had a full OEM by Zenith, sealed box and all. Sold it for around $100 about a year ago if I remember correctly. Danged old-timers is acting up again!

As of late Windows 1.01 does not sell for as much as it used to. But I also note that no one ever tests and guarantees the disks readable. I have a feeling that folks would pay more if you can guarantee that (if thats the case anyway) I would figure you could reimage the disks if they are corrupted. I am always surprized by how many bad disks reformat fine and work without bad sectors.

Good Luck

Well, if he decides to sell them, I'll have him send them to me and I'll verify their readability and fix any bad ones.

Hell, I might even have something around here that I can install it on and show people it's working

Here are some recent eBay sales I'm aware of:

05JAN08 - Microsoft Windows 1.03 - 140193096510 - AU $60 - Disks only
07JAN08 - Microsoft Windows 1.03 - 320202664307 - US $86 - Disks only
07FEB08 - Microsoft Windows 1.03 - 140202724095 - AU $123 - Disks only (resell of 140193096510)

So it appears haven't updated my pricing in awhile... And if I wanted to, I could me a godd amount of cash off my 1.03 WITH manuals ;). But I'm not selling mine, no way. I use Windows on my old machines and I like knowing that I have $100s of dollars worth software in my collection.

--Ryan

(It's kind of like having stock. You have the potential to have cash, but just haven't cashed in on it yet).

Yup, that's all the art and interest of collecting. There are different types of collectors, those that are in it for profit now, those who are in it for investment, and those that are in it for personal interest in which money makes no difference. I'm the last one.. I'm collecting purely for personal interest and historical reservation as well as to hopefully have everything up and working for people to experience who missed out on it all. Money doesn't matter although it's neat to know it's of value, but I'm not interested in selling things although I may thin out a few duplicates for storage purposes.

- John

Well, thanks for the ballparks, people, at least I can tell him what you've mentioned so that, if he likes, he can set a reasonable reserve.

Seems that 1.01 doesn't seem to be as valuable as 1.03, but, we all know it all depends on how many people want it and how badly they want it.

I'll get him to send me the disks so I can scan them and fix them as/if necessary, root around for a manual and get them up on fleaBay.

I'll post a link to the auction when and if there is one.

Thanks again

I just lost an auction a few weeks ago on Windows 1.03 in Australia. It ended up around $130US and it was the disks, manual, and license (no box).

I imagine it would likely fetch a similar amount or a little higher depending on the facts included in the auction. If you check disk the disks for errors (probably just report the results rather than attempt a repair) and show that it's a complete set you'll get a very good sum. It's possible without the manuals it could fetch less, but I know I'd bid on it again. When I'm not at work I can report the actual end bid (I think I lost it last minute) although if you search for "Windows 1.03" on completed auctions you can probably find it.

- John

The price for shipping that item to the U.S.A. was $70 more. Ooch!

Sean

Well, thanks for the ballparks, people, at least I can tell him what you've mentioned so that, if he likes, he can set a reasonable reserve.

Seems that 1.01 doesn't seem to be as valuable as 1.03, but, we all know it all depends on how many people want it and how badly they want it.

I'll get him to send me the disks so I can scan them and fix them as/if necessary, root around for a manual and get them up on fleaBay.

I'll post a link to the auction when and if there is one.

Thanks again

Can anybody tell us all the difference between the versions of the first windows? Like, version 1.00a was like this, then they added such and such in version 1.01, etc?

Sean

Does anybody know if Windows 1.01 had a PIF editor? I know at least windows 1.03 had it, bu I don't know if windows 1.01/1.02/1.04 had it.
:confused:

Back