• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Babbage Differential Engine

I work 5 minutes walk away from the Science Museum in London where the Differential Engine is kept. Gonna have to go check if its still there now :lol:

I wonder how many of Georg and his son Edvard Scheutz' differential machines still exist somewhere. They were Swedes who built the first working, programmable and printing differential engines in 1843, based on Babbage's ideas. A total of four machines are said to have been built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_Georg_Scheutz
---
Heh; that *would* come from *you*, Carlsson ;-)

m

I work 5 minutes walk away from the Science Museum in London where the Differential Engine is kept. Gonna have to go check if its still there now :lol:

I made a point of seeing this when I was in London a few years ago.

It's an amazing piece of equipment!

I've just put my Babbage Differential Engine up on eBay.
And it comes with a Certificate Of Authenticity, signed by Babbage himself.
No reserve.

CP/M User said:
Which is hanging next to the Fallen Madonna with the big boobies by What's it's name!
Van Klomp?
Doesn't stand up next the the True Grail. N.I.B, f/s or trade.

Seriously, isn't it feasible to build differential engine replicas today? I think that even has been done. Of course they would not have a CoA signed by Charles Babbage, but since his machine never was finished/got working anyway, I wouldn't bother too much. I like working computers more than nonfunctional mock-ups, even if they're one of a kind.

carlsson wrote:

Seriously, isn't it feasible to build differential engine replicas today? I think that even has been done. Of course they would not have a CoA signed by Charles Babbage, but since his machine never was finished/got working anyway, I wouldn't bother too much. I like working computers more than nonfunctional mock-ups, even if they're one of a kind.

No the Differential engine is indeed a complete working machine which Babbage made, according to my book there's two Differential engines - the first one stands vertically and the second horizontally both look to be calculating machines to handle large numbers. It was the Analytical Engine which was never completed. In 1823 the British Government gave Babbage funding to construct the Difference Engine - however I'm unsure if the second Difference Engine was built by Babbage, all I know is other Difference Engines were built by other people.

It was a Van Klomp! :-D

Actually, I have the Analytical Engine in my guest bedroom next to my Perpetual Motion Machine (should have never started the damn thing) and it just needs to have the DS-1287 RTC chip replaced (it's not socketed) :(

in my guest bedroom next to my Perpetual Motion Machine (should have never started the damn thing)

i actually have a perpetual motion clock in my guest bedroom
(wound by changes in air pressure) went in to day and cat had knocked it off the shelf and it stopped lol (btw its been running since 1978.) so it appears only major speed bump for perpetual motion is............. cats. lol :)

however I'm unsure if the second Difference Engine was built by Babbage
Must have because there is a "#2" stamped on the bottom of mine, right next to the initials of "C.B."

There are other stampings of:
"Made in Great Britain from local an imported parts"
"Subject to British high technology export restrictions"
"No user serviceable parts inside"
"Return-to-base warranty"

I've just learned that eBay have delisted my item on the grounds of 'questionable authenticity'.
Did they not read my listing - I've got a Certificate Of Authenticity!

Back