• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Neatest IBM PC add-on

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

I thought that I'd ask everybody to tell what was the neatest IBM PC add on that they ever saw. In my case, it was a card that fit into an 8 bit slot that saved all your information to a special file on the hard disk and then powered down the computer.

When you powered it back up you would have all of your software running as it had been when you'd stopped.

Sean

Well, I'm probably going to surprise every one but for me, it was the asynchronous serial comms card. Not the "neatest" maybe but my favourite.

It was highly useful. I found I could prepared documents and BASIC programs at home, in bed even, on my NEC PC-8210a (the second computer I owned after my System 80) and dump them into the PC at work. I could also use the serial card to connect the PC to our PRIME minicomputer and transfer data up and down, and use it as a dumb terminal on occasions. Thirdly, I used it to collect raw data off environmental loggers (Squirrel) through the RS-232.

The way computers could talk to each other constantly intrigued and amazed me and actually, still does.

Back