• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

12MHz?

evildragon

Veteran Member
Holy crap, now I swear I didn't overclock this thing.

crankedmodel25.jpg

So how is it reporting 12MHz? I assume it's trying to count the CPU speed by something as a reference, but that much off? Wow...

I find the CPU identification of 808x class CPUs is really lousy. I have them report back just about everything under the sun.

For example:

QCONFIG - 4.77MHz
LANDMARK V2.00 - 8.6MHz (6.5MHz AT)
V20TIMER - 30MHZ
PCTOOLS 8 SI - 3.3 XTs
NORTON 6 SI - 3.7 XTs / V30 15MHz
NORTON 5 SI - 3.5 XTs /V30 15MHz
NORTON 4.5a SI - 5.1 XTs

The actual speed of my system is 15MHz. I'll checkout this SYSCHK program and see what happens.

*UPDATE*

I ran SYSCHK. It reports my CPU as 10MHz V30, and "8.2MHz CPU throughput" whatever than means...

Last edited:
PC-Check gives me clock speeds accurate to within 0.02 MHz on my CompuAdd 810 (NEC V20, 4.77/7.16/9.54 MHz keyboard switchable):

http://mysite.verizon.net/tekel/pccheck.zip

That's just a shareware demo version so not all the features are available, but it still offers plenty of neat stuff, including diagnostics.

I find the CPU identification of 808x class CPUs is really lousy. I have them report back just about everything under the sun.

This is why my next project is a CPU benchmark program that will match against a list of known targets. I, too, am tired of benchmarks that return inconsistent results.

One feature of what I'm working on is realtime output, so that you can run it in an emulator such as DOSBOX or MESS and adjust the speed of the emulator until you reach your desired target.

Another feature is 100% accurate detection of 8088/nec v20/v30/etc. I already have code that can do this.

I downloaded PC Check. That one reports a 10MHz V30. I also downloaded Norton Utilities 6 for DOS, and that reported 15MHz V30. It's a pretty mixed bag.

What I'd really like to see is a DOS program like this can accurately measure the speed of 808x and 80286 CPUs, and also have the ability to import and export results and display them on a graph.

It would be nice to be able to directly compare say 5MHz, 8MHz, 10MHz, 12MHz 15/16MHz 808x CPUs with various wait states.

The actual speed of my system is 15MHz. I'll checkout this SYSCHK program and see what happens.

*UPDATE*

I ran SYSCHK. It reports my CPU as 10MHz V30, and "8.2MHz CPU throughput" whatever than means...
What kind of machine are you running that has a 15 MHz V30? Are you overclocking a 10 MHz V30, or is that a V30H chip (which NEC made in 12 and 16 MHz speed ratings)?

I've heard of a few late "Turbo XT" clones that used a 12 MHz V20H, but nothing higher than that, aside from some embedded single-board PC systems.

What I'd really like to see is a DOS program like this can accurately measure the speed of 808x and 80286 CPUs, and also have the ability to import and export results and display them on a graph.

It would be nice to be able to directly compare say 5MHz, 8MHz, 10MHz, 12MHz 15/16MHz 808x CPUs with various wait states.

Well, that's what I'm working on, minus graphing. The main goal of the benchmark is:

1. Identify exactly what CPU is in the machine and approximately what MHz it is running at (CPU detection is perfect; MHz detection is an approximation)
  2. Run a suite of tests and gather up a speed "fingerprint" for the machine, and store it in a local database
  3. Display your machine's "fingerprint" compared to other machines in the database, so you can see what your machine's effective performance is
  4. Do the latter part realtime so that, if you're running an emulator, you can "dial" up any speed machine that you want by watching the display while adjusting the speed of emulator

Back