• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Paper tape reader

SPotter

Preferably an Elliott / GEC model

Doesn't have to be working.

Photo shows an Elliott tape reader just to right of opened punch

Any paper tape reader might suffice, though I don't want a huge CNC machine attached to it.

Just a 'desktop' model, or a reader mounted on a rack plate will do.

Well, I've got a few, but they wouldn't be cheap; $75-100, depending on make & condition.
Not Elliot or GEC though; SMC & BBM IIRC.

m

I'm at least curious, now.

Toronto isn't far from Montreal.

What have you got that might open my wallet?

I'd prefer desktop, rather than panel.

I'd prefer optical rather than contact.

I don't suppose you know where I can get a hand (operated) punch?

Steve

They're all desktop units and are all optical except (I think) for one of the BBM MTR units. Interfaces are non-standard but low-voltage and easy to convert to parallel ASCII. Only one (see L2000 pic attached; PPT/EPC reader on left, perf on right) has supply & take-up reels, the rest are hand-fed (although all are motor-driven).

I have a manual 80-column card punch, but all the PPT perfs are electro-mechanical. I do have some parts from units I've scrapped, including the punch blocks and dies, so you might be able to build something yourself.

Some poor pictures attached.

mike

Attachments

• BBMptkb1.jpg
    BBMptkb1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PPTreaderInt.jpg
    PPTreaderInt.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Of those four, the PPTreader.INT looks like a possible candidate.
Looks like it might have been desktop OR panel-mounted.
Any more info on that one?

For the punch, I meant for for hand-editing of paper tape.
When I worked with paper tape, we used to leave space, on the tape, between lines of code, so 'quick' edits could be made, by hand.
Those 'hand-held' punches were a bit like a casette tape splicer (but corrrespondingly larger, of course).
They had a few sprocket pins to position and hold the tape, then a hinged flap with guide holes for a 'pencil'/'wand' type hand punch to poke through guide holes to make the perforations.

That's the SCM unit with the cover removed; no, strictly a desktop version.

A basic reader: Light bulb, filter & mirror, sensor array and PCB with a set of OC (OE?) transistors, 110V motor and a few microswitches.

I'll have to look for a complete one; there are two somewhere but IIRC I took them apart (the mirror had become detached on one) and I think I misplaced the mirror and some small parts, and have been waiting to find them while looking for something else ;-)

Ah yes, I remember those "splicers" now; the ones I remember were just a little 'ruler' with pins to locate the tape and holes. I still have a small package of the splices somewhere (little sections of self-adhesive tape full of DELs, i.e. all positions punched, for folks reading this that weren't raised on paper tape).

It may be a while before I get to it, although you've reawakened my interest in PPT; thanks a lot! Just what I need, another distraction ;-)

m

I just remembered that I have a small box with a couple of tapes in it,
from about 1973 !!!

I found it.

Three tapes:-

1) Not labelled - Don't know what it is. Maybe an Algol source file.

2) "Os & X's" - probably in BASIC.

3) "SPNB3" - If memory serves: Probably a picture of a young lady: If you run it through a teletype, with CR (overprint) capability, made in ASCII.

Let me know if you find a 'complete' SCM reader or an editor/hand-punch or both.

Steve

Well, (probably more info than you want, follows),

This started because, where I am currently working, I have an office (with real gyproc and plaster walls!!) all to myself, not another cubicle!!!
(First time I have my own office, at work, in 30 odd years!)

I eventually overcame my modesty and put framed copies of my diplomas and professional credentials up on the wall;
Then I dumped the uninspiring 'inspirational image' that the previous occupant had left on the wall, and replaced it with a favourite Salvador Dali print.
Then I brought in a few 'antique' pieces of equipment, from my own history, to place on top of the mahogany bureau:-
An old Eico magic-eye resistance-capacitance bridge, an old Wavetek signal generator, an old Heathkit RF generator.
Then I thought, gee it would be nice to have a desk-top tape reader (preferably an Elliott/GEC) with those items. After all, I was academically educated in electronics and communications, but most of my career has been in software, and I started with paper tape.
Then my memory got disturbed and I thought about the hand-punch, and that box of tapes.
(Might be fun to transfer them to disk - just for the fun of seeing them run through a working tape reader and the contents appearing on the screen).

Anyway, that's the picture.

To answer your question: The hand-punch would be cleaned and mounted for display.
The 'pencil'/'wand' punch was attached to the base with a chain - a bit like the way a pen is attached at the cashier station at a bank.

Back