• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Brainiac clone?

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

As you may know, I have recently come into possession of a 1950's-era Brainiac computer (http://images.google.com/images?hl=...-1&q=brainiac+computer+kit&btnG=Search+Images). It has some corrosion and the manual has rust stains on it. I have decided not to build the kit, but rather to keep it in it's current state.

The Brainiac was an improvement on the Geniac computer, with six rotary switches instead of three. It is a very simple design that performs boolean logic decisions. It can play tic tac toe, and the manual comes with forty experiments.

What I am here to ask is if there would be any interest among the members of the Vintage Computer Forums in plans to build a clone of the Brainiac, which I would provide to interested members, and then I would re-write the experiments and distribute them.

I plan to build a clone of the Brainiac for myself, and I invite all of you to join me. Any takers?

Sean

NOTE: My avitar for this forum IS the DC Comic's Brainiac

Although I would not be interested personally, what the heck, do it! I have found that if you do anything thoroughly and well tested "they will come" - I did not receive a lot of feedback either way regarding my History of Commodore Computers poster, but I made it anyway. To date I have sold a few hundred of them worldwide.

Shameless plug
http://vintagecomputer.net/poster_detail.cfm

Bill

NOTE: My avitar for this forum IS the DC Comic's Brainiac.

[Grin] This is a perfect example of why the Vintage Computer Forums are so useful. After you told me about your icon when I PM'ed you about it I googled "brainiac" to get an idea of what it was. This led to checking eBay, where there was one for sale, in what looked like complete shape, for 1/4 the price of the one that was just loose parts in the box.

I informed my Mother that this year's birthday present was the item, I got it and it was totally complete. So I'm going to try to learn more about Boolean logic with my clone of the kit.

Aren't the VCFs great?

Sean

Back