• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: IBM PS/2 50 and 90 parts

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Ok, I'm going to try this one more time before I toss out these, otherwise, well working computers.

What I need are the hard drive sleds/trays/caddies for, as it says, a pair of Model 90s (8590-0H5 and 085) and a Model 50 (8550-021).

I've search the web for hours trying to find these things to complete these units without success. I don't even know what the hell IBM called the damn things LOL

Maybe if I had the part numbers for them, I could find them, but, if I had them to read the part numbers off of, I wouldn't really NEED the part numbers, would I?

Any help would be appreciated and would keep these units from ending up as part of whatever is metal in vehicles now-a-days.

Last edited:
Drive slide part numbers

Drive slide part numbers

According to the IBM PS/2 Hardware Maintenance Manual, these are the relevant drive slide FRU part numbers:

64F0156 Model 90 1.44 MB and 2.88 MB 3½-inch diskette drive slide
85F0035 Model 90 hard disk drive slide
90X8628 Model 50 hard disk drive slide kit

The manual doesn't state the Model 50 3½-inch diskette drive slide FRU part number, but the one I have has the number 15F7502. This may be an ASM (assembly) part number, not FRU.

Allen, thank you.

That info may almost be as good as you having the parts, I'll let you know.

Slide. Well I'm surprised that wasn't my first guess at what they were called.

IBM always was good at calling a spade "device. Manual. For use in detatching small quantities of the planet from the bulk of it. FRU:Spade." :)

FWIW, I've got a 1.44 3.5" floppy here, source & condition unknown; no number on the slide (a wedge-shaped clear plastic thingamajig) but the numbers on the drive assembly are:
P/N 64F4473
EC C31315-A
USED IN
FRU 64F0207

And somewhere I may also have the HD assembly out of the same PS/?-??

m

Closer inspection reveals the same no. as Allen's: 15F7502, also E66824

The search, so far;

For the model 50, everything ends up going to those places that list it and want you to request a quote. They don't HAVE it, but, they might know some place that does have it, OR they want you to buy a dozen, OR they want you to pay more than you'd get for the whole system.

For the 90s, there are some links to Fleabay Germany, but, when you follow them and search around, they don't exist.

Going.........

FWIW, I've got a 1.44 3.5" floppy here, source unknown; no number on the slide (a wedge-shaped clear plastic thingamajig) but the numbers on the drive assembly are:
P/N 64F4473
EC C31315-A
USED IN
FRU 64F0207

And somewhere I may also have the HD assembly out of the same PS/?-??

m

Well, all three units have functioning FDs, the 90s will take some of 1GB+ SCSI drives I have laying around and I even have a line on on a 20 meg drive for the 50, but, without the slides/sled/WETF units I'd have to Crazy Glue the damn drives in LOL

Allen, any chance the reference manual gives the original part number?

Did Allen's msg suggest that this sled is for a -50? if so, can ya use it?
I assume your FD has the funky PCB32 > 40pin edge connector adapter?
It's a YE YD-701 BTW, AFAIK

m

Last edited:
Floppy diskette drive slide FRU

Floppy diskette drive slide FRU

First, IBM hardware maintenance manuals usually list only FRU part numbers. ASM part numbers are not used to order a part that is a "field replaceable unit." The PS/2 Hardware Maintenance Manual gives an FRU 64F0207 for Model 50 1.44 MB diskette drive (includes bezel and drive slide). This is also the same FRU for Model 70, which is the FRU mentioned by MikeS above.

Although there is no mention of a separate drive slide (or bezel) for a Model 50 floppy diskette drive, the manual does state that the FRU for a Model 70 floppy diskette drive slide is 72X8507. This is also the FRU for Models 60, 65, and 80 according to the manual. Since Models 50 and 70 are nearly identical, 72X8507 is probably the FRU for a Model 50 floppy diskette drive slide.

Druid6900, why do you need these drive slides? Are you trying to restore your PS/2s or are you just trying to read the data from the hard disks? If it's the latter, then perhaps you need a temporary solution of just holding up the drives enough so that the edge connectors insert into the bus adapters.

I should mention that I'm trying to restore the Model 50Z I discussed earlier in April. I was going to give up and part out the system, but I had a change of heart. I replaced the system board, but I need a working floppy drive to continue.

Mike & Allen,

Long story short - Got the 50 from one person and it came without the hard drive and slide but, otherwise completely intact and operating.

Got the 90s from someone else and they are functional (now, thanks to a great site by Louis Ohland). Originally, they must have had external SCSI drives but they didn't come with the units, hence the need for slide for them to be able to mount the drive internally as they come with internal SCSI drive cables.

Yes, I know what FRU stands for, I used to be a field service tech, at one point, but it's good that you mention it in case people wonder WTF a FRU is :)

The problem here is that, if people are scrapping these models, the parts they have would have ASM numbers on them and may not have FRU numbers on the parts (although it was common practice to slap the FRU label on them, they dry up and fall off).

Searching by FRU didn't prove very useful, perhaps, if I can find them, searching by the ASM P/N might be more profitable.

I really hate to toss working computers for lack of one part to complete their restoration.

So, after all the ASMs and FRUs are done, is the bottom line that Allen can use my FDD w/o the slide (if it works) and Druid can use the slide off it, or have I got it wrong as usual?

m

found a drive slide today at the thrift no fru it has a part number 6373554 4 (the space is there) and something called a watson code 0-1961. has a sticker on it handwritten for ps/2 so im guessing its for a ps2. if wanted i can get a pic

So, after all the ASMs and FRUs are done, is the bottom line that Allen can use my FDD w/o the slide (if it works) and Druid can use the slide off it, or have I got it wrong as usual?

m

Close, Mike, VERY close.

Allen would very much like the drive, but, all my floppy drives have slides so, I don't need any for floppies.

If you find the HDD slide, that would be cool to try out (perhaps they were all the same, I don't know, doesn't seem like it from the FRUs), but, it might fit one of the machines.

found a drive slide today at the thrift no fru it has a part number 6373554 4 (the space is there) and something called a watson code 0-1961. has a sticker on it handwritten for ps/2 so im guessing its for a ps2. if wanted i can get a pic

Thanks Duke, however, never having seen one, I would have NO idea what the ones I need look like.

Perhaps someone with the models I need slides for would be able to recognize them if you posted a picture though. I should see if the HDD slide from my 55SX fits in the 50 and then, if it does, I would, at least, know what the hell THAT one looks like.

IBM marketing/options part numbers

IBM marketing/options part numbers

The Model 90 hard disk drive slide (FRU 85F0035) is also associated with two marketing/options part numbers: 06H7938 and 70G8505. IBM marketing/options part numbers are different from ASM and FRU part numbers in that these items are optional add-ons or accessories that can be ordered direct from IBM. For example, a CMOS battery wouldn't have a marketing/options part number, but a keyboard might. I know, more part numbers for one item, can't this be simpler?

Considering the difficulty in locating old IBM parts, anyone with an IBM part number should also research additional part numbers.

Close, Mike, VERY close.

Allen would very much like the drive, but, all my floppy drives have slides so, I don't need any for floppies.

If you find the HDD slide, that would be cool to try out (perhaps they were all the same, I don't know, doesn't seem like it from the FRUs), but, it might fit one of the machines.
--------
Well, ya coulda said in your OP that you're only looking for HD sleds, instead of just "drive"...

Sheesh! All that time wasted!

;-)

--------
Well, ya coulda said in your OP that you're only looking for HD sleds, instead of just "drive"...

Sheesh! All that time wasted!

;-)

You're right, Mike, and I apologize for confusing you and the others. I didn't even realize that I had omitted the fact that it was for a hard drive.

It's been corrected now for posterity :)

Allen, hey, what's a few more numbers for the same damn part?

Well, using the new numbers Allen supplied, nothing on FleaBay, but, a couple of hits from those "hard-to-find parts" places with prices from 89 to 117+ bucks.

How much is scrap metal going for these days?

Last edited:
Hard disk drive slide pictures

Hard disk drive slide pictures

Pictures of Model 50 hard disk drive slide kit (90X8628) and Model 90 hard disk drive slide (85F0035) are attached. If you happen to come across anything that resembles these, please contact the original poster or post a new topic in the items for sale or trade section. Do not discard these or any IBM PS/2 parts--these aren't easy to find and we can put them to good use.

Attachments

• 90X8628.jpg
    90X8628.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1
  • 85F0035.jpg
    85F0035.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1
Back