• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Warez memories

Pretty good story! I ended up doing the QWK packets to read about Windows 3.1 secrets and other goodies. I never got heavy into cracked games. Then one day, I figured out I was spending close to 2 hours every day, downloading and reading QWK packets. So, that ended that for me. 2 hours every day was too much time for what I was getting out of it. It was like news groups but you had to go collect all the news yourself.

Is there a time limit for the police to arrest you for copyright infringment? ;)

I used to snag warez from the local Rusty n Edies BBS and local sources back in the day. Later on I used to hang out in IRC on efnet with people who had 0-day sites and couriers who supplied them. Never wanted to get in deep enough to get into trouble.

I have to admit having DOOM 2 months before anyone else was kind of cool (snagged it from a Canadian BBS). By around 2000 or so I could care less about having the newest games and went retro. Its funny how you trade one hobby (collecting warez) to a more space intensive one (collecting computers, cards, magazines, and boxed software).

Ahhh, the Central Point PC Option Board. :) Much to surprise, when I acquired the 8088 it was found to have the Option Board installed. It also came with the manual, but no software. Not that would do much good these days.
I always liked Central Point Software and have always installed a version of their PC Tools on the old computers I've acquired.

That's funny. 2000 is about when I stopped caring about the latest games as well. Usually had them before they were released or within the day or two, but honestly so many were just boring. Once I realized I was deleting them without looking at them after a while it seemed pretty useless.

Just found it funny with that timeline being similar. My friends and I also switched our focus then to vintage games as well as emulators/consoles for a while which took off pretty well.

I have a boxed deluxe option board but don't realy have a machine slow enough to run it in (unless I put it into my Amiga 2000 with XT bridgeboard).

Ya, there was a brand new option board deluxe on eBay not too long ago, I really wish I had the money to get it at that time. It seems like every time I go broke or am saving for something important another item I want really bad pops up on eBay...

Maybe I should put my money in an offshore account to trick an item I want into popping up on eBay ;-)

--Jack

Maybe I should put my money in an offshore account to trick an item I want into popping up on eBay ;-)

--Jack

Fate already knows that trick. How about this trick of Fate...you save money for that special gadget or whatever, and just when you have enough money to get it there will be some little disaster (car breaks down, home repair, medical) that requires just the amount you have saved.

Kent

lol, that's like me never being able to afford to get an Altair. They inflate just as fast as my funds do, so over the years I'm able to pay what they used to run a few years back but never today.

Ya, there was a brand new option board deluxe on eBay not too long ago, I really wish I had the money to get it at that time. It seems like every time I go broke or am saving for something important another item I want really bad pops up on eBay...

I have about 4 or 5 option boards :cool: so I might let one go someday.

Jack, I got the AT&T PC 6300 WGS running and it came with an AT&T MS-DOS 3.3 4-disk set including a bootable installation program -- I'm assuming you would like these diskette images, yes?? If so, let me know and how to get them to you.

Those option boards on ebay sell for a wide range of prices. What did the last ones you seen go for? Funny I mentioned the board and then get 2 PM's from people wanting to buy it here.

As I recall, the last option board I saw (actually, it was 2 in one lot) was boxed and came with software. $40 or the likes is what it sold for. I was going to PM you, but I decided that would be a little childish. I know I wouldn't want someone trying to buy my stuff just because I mentioned it in a one-liner thread(well, on MY huge monitor it takes up 1 line :)). Well, if they offered more than it was worth.... But while we're on the subject, if you're looking to sell, I'd be happy to buy....

--Jack

lol.. I um.. see absolutely NOTHING childish about PMing someone about hardware they mention they don't have a use for ;o).. I think those people .. well atleast one of them must be a very cool and avid user.

I never said I didn't have a use for it, just that I didn't have it installed since untill recently all my old x86 machines were too fast.

Maybe I am the oddball, but I sometimes snag things I want to use and wait a year or more to get around to using them.

Doesn't bother me getting a PM about something people want to buy, happens quite a bit. But I am still into the building up phase of my collection so I am not that interested in getting rid of anything major yet.

Last auction I seen for an option board was over $100, like I said it bounces around (went to somebody looking to backup Apple II disks I think).

Ya, I got alot of crap around here that I dont of use for yet as I still need to buy what goes with it. For instance, I have a full set of IBM AT books and yet I have no AT. I've NEVER had an AT, but plan to buy one. Hell, I have a NOS IBM PCjr controller, and behold I have and never have had a PCjr. I HOPE to have one eventually, though. Sometime in or just before 2009, hopefully. I have all sorts of AT&T UNIX disks, but dont have a UNIX system yet. I've got boxes of computer cards but...well, I run a business, of COURSE I have extra stuff.

No offense meant, Barythrin...Nor any to the mysterious "2nd" person after the cards.

--Jack

I got my first computer in 1982 (VIC-20), and didn't buy my first piece of software (Microsoft Macro Assembler 5.0) until 1985 or 1986. I'm somewhat ashamed to say I had pretty much every game and utility out there too.

I like to think I've made up for that in the years since. In 1997 alone, I purchased so much software that I received over $400 in rebates.

I've been an open source user for many years now. The only piece of commercial software I currently use is VMWare Workstation.

I use VMWare Server (free) instead of workstation. Been workin fine for most of our use. I'd buy more software if it wasn't so outragously priced, but I guess I get by not really using much stuff anyway. You'd think I'd have some awesome use for several highend computers, but they're just for one or two games worth playing every X years. Other than that it only succeeded my stereo and sometimes my TV gets jealous.

Remember the tricks some BBSes had to get access to the hidden areas? Sometimes an non displayed menu key, a little too common was an invalid age (the one I liked more was a board that changed your age to < 2years old to get access). That of course was instead of just a regular security number to access areas.

Sometimes it takes a while to piece everything I need together to make a complete unit, so things sit. A month ago I purchased a Matrox EISA+ISA cardset (3 boards sandwiched to one frame plus another card all connected in 2 places at the top with a bridge) for video editing and I won't be able to use it untill I can find an EISA 486 or early Pentium motherboard (just needs 1 EISA slot). I have an old Nubus AVID waiting for a software dongle so I can use it.

Most items show up, get cleaned and tested the week they get here, and then shelved untill I get around to doing something with them (more involved then just setting them up). I bounce around between platforms quite a bit as my mood changes, or read about something I want to try from a vintage magazine.

I probably do have enough stuff to keep me busy for years, but there is allways something else vintage I want.

I probably do have enough stuff to keep me busy for years, but there is allways something else vintage I want.

lol, exactly same boat here. I've come to the poor realization that even if I decided to pick 1 system every week to pay attention to in the collection, it'd still take over 2 years for me to get to all of them let alone the newer computers and other little projects.

Back