• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Zealand vintage computer collector forum

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,

The problem with my PS/2 had me mulling over how New Zealand vintage computer collectors might get together to swap, buy or sell things. For example, although we have our own trading site in trademe.co.nz, how could I let other New Zealander's I wanted some gear?

Posting on this forum is one way, but most readers here are not from New Zealand and shipping costs make trading from off these shores prohibitive.

What I've done then, is to develop a specific New Zealand vintage computer forum, which I hope might act as a focus for NZ enthusiasts. I'm not really sure just how many there are here (maybe just a handful?) but I'll see what happens anyway. You can never be sure until you try.

I don't want my discussion area to compete with this forum (Erik's VCF) or dilute it. In fact, I suggest in the Purpose and Announcements section that people join this one as most themes and concepts are universal no matter where you are (and the more the merrier). The New Zealand vintage forums though, will be specifically for New Zealander's to let each other know what they have and want, and to share reflections on our particular early computing history.

Anyway, just thought I'd post here, to let any New Zealander's who might be browsing know of its existence, or in case anyone else wants to visit.

The URL is http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/forum/index.php

Tez

Last edited:
I've got a friend in NZ who likes to play with his Radio Shack oldies and is doing some software development for the M100; not really a collector, but I'll pass it on.

Good luck with yours, mine crashed and burned horrible. It was a total waste of time… I hope yours will do better.

Hi Eric,

Yes, it may remain unused, but it was easy enough to set up.

If nothing else, at least I can post my own NZ-related notes there for casual guests.

Tez

Hi Tez,

presumably you're aware of Alan's site for collectors?

http://www.webs4u.co.nz/vintage/

It doesn't get much attention but I've had one contribution over the last four years from that site.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, I know of Alan's site. I've got my name recordered there plus a list of the computers I have and want. It's certainly useful in providing contact information for other collectors. I've asked Alan if he is interesting in linking the forum site to his, as an interactive tool for fostering the NZ vintage community.

Tez

Cool, good luck with it mate. How about expanding it to also include us Aussies, as the postage issues from Europe and/or the US are equally as bad for us mainlanders?

Just a thought. :cool:

Cool, good luck with it mate. How about expanding it to also include us Aussies, as the postage issues from Europe and/or the US are equally as bad for us mainlanders?

Just a thought. :cool:

Folks from across the ditch are more than welcome Troy. Feel free to register and post.

Back