• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got an EISA mobo

The 24F has some cache on the card to speed things up, come to think of it I think I have that board too as a spare (currently using a caching IDE EISA card with 16MB of cache).

Amigaz if you have the original driver disks for the ultrastor 24F I would like some disk images (Winimage would be fine) of them.

Wish I had the disks :( , I downloaded them as zipped archives from some website
Have the original disks for my Elsa Winner 1000 though :cool:

Here's what my setup looks now....mini towers are great but when it comes to rig them up with SCSI and gaming cards it get pretty crowded as you can see
btw. are we only 3 EISA users here now?

insidapg3.jpg

bakyj5.jpg

I think there are one or two others in this forum that use EISA systems. I wish there were more though.

Your hd transfer speed is probably being limited by your disk drive rather than the controller. The Adaptec AHA-2742AT is a pretty decent controller...but what you really should have gotten is a 2742W. I saw one in an eBay store the other day that was pretty cheap. I also saw a wide SCSI Compaq controller that looked pretty nice.With the 2742AT you're going to be capped at 10mb/sec. I don't know if it's realistically possible to get much more than that out of a 486 though, since I haven't had a chance to try a high-density, high-rpm SCSI drive out with my wide controller. I'll have to try out some of these things when I have some cash to blow.

Your setup looks pretty good, but I think a larger case would be the way to go. I have my stuff in a full profile AT desktop at the moment, and it's still pretty crowded with all of my full length EISA and ISA boards. I'm considering moving everything over to a tower configuration.

Last edited:
I think there are one or two others in this forum that use EISA systems. I wish there were more though.

Your hd transfer speed is probably being limited by your disk drive rather than the controller. The Adaptec AHA-2742AT is a pretty decent controller...but what you really should have gotten is a 2742W. I saw one in an eBay store the other day that was pretty cheap. I also saw a wide SCSI Compaq controller that looked pretty nice.With the 2742AT you're going to be capped at 10mb/sec. I don't know if it's realistically possible to get much more than that out of a 486 though, since I haven't had a chance to try a high-density, high-rpm SCSI drive out with my wide controller. I'll have to try out some of these things when I have some cash to blow.

Your setup looks pretty good, but I think a larger case would be the way to go. I have my stuff in a full profile AT desktop at the moment, and it's still pretty crowded with all of my full length EISA and ISA boards. I'm considering moving everything over to a tower configuration.

Think i saw that Compaq 68pin Wide SCSI controller, think it's overkill though since my 50mhz 486DX can't cope
I wonder if I can fit a 5 --> 3.3volt CPU adapter and an AMD 5x86 in my system?

Wish I had another "old school" full AT tower with a nice MHZ display, rocker style power button etc ;)

You have any pic's of your EISA setup?

Think i saw that Compaq 68pin Wide SCSI controller, think it's overkill though since my 50mhz 486DX can't cope
I wonder if I can fit a 5 --> 3.3volt CPU adapter and an AMD 5x86 in my system?

Wish I had another "old school" full AT tower with a nice MHZ display, rocker style power button etc ;)

You have any pic's of your EISA setup?

Wish you had have said something a week ago. I just scrapped a 9 device full tower case with 4 digit display (extracted the working PSU first) and pedestal base.

Sucker was so big it had extensions on the motherboard power connections.

I also have a ISA/EISA motherboard and a WD1007 controller, but, I'm not actually doing anything with them.

Wish you had have said something a week ago. I just scrapped a 9 device full tower case with 4 digit display (extracted the working PSU first) and pedestal base.

Sucker was so big it had extensions on the motherboard power connections.

I also have a ISA/EISA motherboard and a WD1007 controller, but, I'm not actually doing anything with them.

Really? damn....my timing is never 100% when it comes to laying my hands on nice hardware :eek:

The VRM should be no problem. I'm using one in my EISA configuration with an am5x86 at the moment and it works very well. I tried 5x86 at 3x50MHz too. It works fine, but the L2 cache needs more wait states and ends up being slower than 4x40 in the end.

I actually don't have photos of my full setup, but I do have one or two pictures.

The motherboard:
http://picasaweb.google.com/misterzeropage/MyVintageComputerStuff/photo#5078749493938014530

This is an ELSA Winner 2000 I replaced with a SuperMac Spectrum/24
http://picasaweb.google.com/misterzeropage/MyVintageComputerStuff/photo#5108132668792222658

This is a full tower case I want to use (needs a little fixing up)

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterzeropage/MyVintageComputerStuff/photo#5204484585200514354

Really? damn....my timing is never 100% when it comes to laying my hands on nice hardware :eek:

I believe I mentioned it around the same time I offered up a pair of beautiful full-sized AT desktop cases that ended up being scrapped anyway, so, I don't bother anymore.

Just as well, the shipping to Sweden would have been horrendous, especially with the switchable PSU re-installed. It was pretty heavy gauge metal.

The VRM should be no problem. I'm using one in my EISA configuration with an am5x86 at the moment and it works very well. I tried 5x86 at 3x50MHz too. It works fine, but the L2 cache needs more wait states and ends up being slower than 4x40 in the end.

I actually don't have photos of my full setup, but I do have one or two pictures.

The motherboard:
http://picasaweb.google.com/misterzeropage/MyVintageComputerStuff/photo#5078749493938014530

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterzeropage/MyVintageComputerStuff/photo#5108132668792222658

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterzeropage/MyVintageComputerStuff/photo#5204484585200514354

So you're running yours with stepped down voltage?

My EISA board is pretty early, the only CPU related jumper it has is a jumper to change between different CPU sorts...no multiplier or voltage jumpper to be seen.
I guess it was made when the 486 boards started to sell for real

Like your picture albums...I see you're after the 2mb upgrade for the Mach64...I must tease you to say I got it on such a card very cheap on german Ebay recently :mrgreen:

I believe I mentioned it around the same time I offered up a pair of beautiful full-sized AT desktop cases that ended up being scrapped anyway, so, I don't bother anymore.

Just as well, the shipping to Sweden would have been horrendous, especially with the switchable PSU re-installed. It was pretty heavy gauge metal.

Must have missed those posts, was it during mid summer?

yeah, I bet the shipping cost would have been a killer...but sometimes it's worth it....here in Sweden it's almost impossible to find anything related to pre socket 7 PC systems..it's all gone to recycling

Yeah, I'm using a VRM socket adapter. You can see the voltage regulator sticking out beside the heatsink if you zoom in. My board doesn't have a built-in 3.3V VRM either. It just supports the classic 486 CPUs. Very few EISA boards support 3.3V CPUs directly. The only one I know of for certain is a certain revision of an AIR model. Just use an adapter. I find they work pretty well.

I actually found the Mach64GX memory module on U.S. ebay several months ago, I just haven't bothered to take a picture of it. I have it in my 386 system on an ISA version of the card. German eBay has pretty good stuff sometimes, but with the euro so high I wouldn't bother unless it was something really amazing...like the Winner 2000 dual bus I picked up several years ago.

Yeah, I'm using a VRM socket adapter. You can see the voltage regulator sticking out beside the heatsink if you zoom in. My board doesn't have a built-in 3.3V VRM either. It just supports the classic 486 CPUs. Very few EISA boards support 3.3V CPUs directly. The only one I know of for certain is a certain revision of an AIR model. Just use an adapter. I find they work pretty well.

I actually found the Mach64GX memory module on U.S. ebay several months ago, I just haven't bothered to take a picture of it. I have it in my 386 system on an ISA version of the card. German eBay has pretty good stuff sometimes, but with the euro so high I wouldn't bother unless it was something really amazing...like the Winner 2000 dual bus I picked up several years ago.

Ahhh...now I see the little heatsink on the VRM too :D

mmm...the euro never seem to drop dramatically like the US Dollar
I buy alot of stuff from German ebay since it's quite close to Sweden and the shipping costs aren't dramatically high plus I have some german blood in my vains :mrgreen:

The motherboard:

Your Elsa 2000 card is huge but not as huge as my VLB version of the same card...must be the biggest VLB card ever made :eek:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jivemaster2005/VLBCards#5251498036203419458

It should say in the description Matrox Ultima plus 2MB. I tried to upgrade it to 4MB but the extra memory was not detected.

Were you careful to make certain the addtitional RAM chips were FPM and not EDO? Unless you look up their datasheets it isn't easy to tell.

The reason the EISA version of the Winner 2000 isn't quite full length is to leave room for the second VGA connector which allows you to flip the card around and use the ISA card edge (a pretty handy feature).

I have a SuperMac Spectrum/24 (I believe UnknownK has one too) that is a full length and full height card. It may even be a little taller than your VLB card but probably not much. One thing is certain though, it has a hell of a lot more ICs on it.

Were you careful to make certain the addtitional RAM chips were FPM and not EDO? Unless you look up their datasheets it isn't easy to tell.

The reason the EISA version of the Winner 2000 isn't quite full length is to leave room for the second VGA connector which allows you to flip the card around and use the ISA card edge (a pretty handy feature).

I have a SuperMac Spectrum/24 (I believe UnknownK has one too) that is a full length and full height card. It may even be a little taller than your VLB card but probably not much. One thing is certain though, it has a hell of a lot more ICs on it.

That supermac card...it doesn't happen to be the big, beefy card on this pic?

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/0a/08/b7bc_1.JPG

Won this pile recently on Ebay but haven't recieved them yet

b7bc_1.JPG

That supermac card...it doesn't happen to be the big, beefy card on this pic?

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/0a/08/b7bc_1.JPG

Won this pile recently on Ebay but haven't recieved them yet

b7bc_1.JPG

The Spectrum card I have is EISA, have yet to use it since I need a cable to connect it to my ATI EISA card.

Not sure what you won, but that diamond S3 card with RAM upgrade looks interesting.

Back