• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

commodore 1581 power unit help

steveuk

Experienced Member
hay all
ok im trying to sell my 1581 drive on ebay but problem is i kind burnt out my psu unit, i connected it to a convertor, i heard a large humm and smoke time. i pulled it out rather quick. Lucky the 1581 drive was not conected..

I tried a convertor coz i couldnt find the step-down transformer, which i later found the same day ::(, so is there anyone in the U.K able to repair this 1581 power unit for me,(CHEAP) thing is it looks like a sealed type one... or has anyone got a U.S 1581 power unit they wanta sell cheap to me so i can sell my 1581 drive.?????

It say on back of the drive. Power: 5VDC 1A 12VDC 0.5A
The power unit says: Model: 1541-II-1572-II-1581
Input: 120V AC 60Hz 0.;25
Output:
pin1 +5VDC 1A
Pin2 Ground
Pin3 NC
Pin4: _12VDC 0.5A
2yypc2f.jpg

ifyou need fuller scan of the burnt out PSU let me know and i do one.

someone did offer to buy it without Power uinit and Setep-down convertor in Netherlands, but for mear pennies, and i know this can reach over £60 if fully working.. as as this one on Ebay is feacjing over £64 so far.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110279379303&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

I did have 1 other 1581 last year and sold that for £65 with P+P Extra

So if anyone has a spare U.S power unit going cheap or think they could repair a sealed U.S power unit please let me know.
Thanks
Stevey

Last edited:
If you intend to sell it within Europe, you don't need an US power supply. The drive only needs 5VDC 1A + 12VDC 0.5A and can be powered with a regular 1541-II power supply if you find one, or you can use pretty much any power supply (e.g. from an old PC AT) using a custom 4-pin DIN connector. Of course it doesn't look as neat as the original power supply.

As for how much the drive without power supply is worth, it depends if you sell it to a collector or a user. The former may misbid horribly because it isn't complete, while the second will be more interested that the drive functions properly. Perhaps £45-50 without the power supply?

If you intend to sell it within Europe, you don't need an US power supply. The drive only needs 5VDC 1A + 12VDC 0.5A and can be powered with a regular 1541-II power supply if you find one, or you can use pretty much any power supply (e.g. from an old PC AT) using a custom 4-pin DIN connector. Of course it doesn't look as neat as the original power supply.

As for how much the drive without power supply is worth, it depends if you sell it to a collector or a user. The former may misbid horribly because it isn't complete, while the second will be more interested that the drive functions properly. Perhaps £45-50 without the power supply?

ok thanks for info, i dont think a PC psu would look all that nicem ive got a bid up to £31 for it so far, got 1 day left just have to wait and see.
Steve

Ok sold it to a guy form Ebay today i explained what happened to the PSU, but informed him the drive should work as it was not connected to the convertor a the time luckly.. i Also found the original Stepdown convertor a Grayish block type theing, not the one as shown in the Photo, but that still would of worked on the drive if i hadnt blow the PSU up,, I did the stupid mistake of trying a convertor as i could'nt find the Stepdown adaptor at the time....

Luckly the guy said he know somethink about Electrics, so hopefully he will get the PSU opened some how(As it a sealed one) and may be able to do a repair, i think it could be a burnt out compasitor, or resister,or somethink that went in the Power unit. He's going to keep me informed in the progress, he said he has a 1571 Power supply from a dead Drive, he's going to mesure the out & inputs of that PSU connector plug, if that matches, then he's set and wont have to mess with the one i screwed up...lol

I gave him the link to this site and hopefully he will join... So Nick if ya there and reading this, keep me informed of the Drives Progress, treat it like royalty ..lol

Steve

Yes, the internal power supply in the 1571 should also generate 5V + 12V so it would function. I had a broken 1541-II power supply that also was sealed shut. I didn't even bother trying to open it, so I cut the power cables from it and dumped the rest. Cables with uncommon connectors often are worth almost as much as a broken unit.

his old 1571 power unit workedlike a treat he told me, nice.... he also opened the drive and found JiffyDos inside which i had forgotten about, he said it realy speeds up the loading of programes.... So even the PWS was dead i think he still got a good deal. Working 1581, a Step down convertor, 2 1581 dos/jiffy chips, manual, a bunch of disks with C64 & C+4 stuff on, a inside out on the 1581 booklet... All for £50........

Oh well hope he looks after it,like i had for the last 17+ years.. God time flys.

Well next i need to do is dig out my old Commodore 128D and keyboard see if that still works, whick i think it does. will soon find out this weekend.

Time flys like i said 6am and i still cant get this poxy new pc to work ...either Vista wont install, or XP just keeps crashing out and giving me a blue screen of death on memory dump shit... grrrrrrrrrrr

Well sleep time i get back to the PC later..

Later all

Back