• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Identify Modem

rowdy235

Okay, got a dilemma here. I am trying to locate a network adapter that will plug into a vintage laptop. There is currently a modem installed, from what I can tell its a Sanyo SMD-100B. Basically it has a connector on the end I have never seen. I am looking for either a NIC to plug into the port, or an adapter to convert it to a serial port (the computer shows the modem on COM2). Thanks in advance.
100_2259.jpg

100_2258.jpg

I'm guessing it's the Commodore C386SX-LT that you are talking about and, if so, the connector is, probably, proprietary.

Unless they made a NIC with the intention of swapping the modem out for it, I think you might be outta luck.

okay. Well maybe If I could just figure out how to adapt the pins to a serial port.

okay. Well maybe If I could just figure out how to adapt the pins to a serial port.

I'm sure it's possible, but, to start, you'd need to know what the pinouts of the computer's connector or the modem's connector.

Making a board with the edge connector on one end and a DB-9 or DB-25 should be fairly easy armed with that info and a home board etching kit.

Back