• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintropedia - Vintage Computer and Retro Console Price Guide 2009

Craig_Vintropedia

Hey Everyone, thought this link would be appropriate as it involves over 3,000 vintage computers. :)

Info:

Inside you'll find 328 pages packed with over 14,000 items across the history of the console, computer, software and accessories markets from the years 1968-1998. Information on each item covers their value (gbp), machine specifications, regions of origin, releases dates, model names, publishing companies and more! Look no further than Vintropedia, a guide created by collectors, for collectors.

For more information please visit www.vintropedia.com

I'm sure it's a very useful informational publication, but, I really can't see, given all the variables involved, being able to put a value on a given machine that would be good for more than 5 minutes for a hypothetical "ideal machine configuation"

I agree. And it would be at least as difficult to put a pricetag on a machine on a global scale. What's rare in the U.S. might be pretty common in Europe and vice versa.

Just look at the various rarity and price lists for video games published on different sites in the U.S.. Many of them has high prices and rarity values for games published in Europe. No matter how common they are in Europe.

I fully agree with the previous posts that it is pretty pointless as the commonness of systems and value varies between continents.

Also, people are going to get ahold of this and start thinking their vintage computer stuff is actually worth something and try to sell it. OK, OK, most of it is actually worth paying for, but we all know some chap is going to try and get $250 for their yellowed-to-Hell Tandy CoCo computer. Or a Commodore 64. Or whatever. Whichever way you look at it, this means higher computer prices, higher book prices, and somehow means higher gas prices.

So which one of us is going to break down and buy a copy of this book for $30 out of curiousity and ultimately go from bashing to praising this blasphemous book?

--Jack

Edit: Furthermore, I would bet almost anything that the fabulous AT&T PC 6300 doesn't get more than 1 line of mention throughout the entire book, which will probably be a short sentance describing that Olivetti allowed the sales of their M24 by AT&T as the AT&T PC 6300.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I respect the concerns and feedback you have given.

We used multiple sources such as traders, auctions, fairs and collector opinion, for as many items as possible, to try and find an average price for the market, as we're simply a "guide".

One of our aims is to also try and stabalise the market, very tough to achieve, and to help people stop overspending, especially on ebay, or at least, let the buyers realise how much they're overspending by, according to our researched listings.

The AT&T info systems PC 6300, pc 6300 plus, pc 6310 and pc 6312 wgs are all listed, as well as the olivetti 24 and olivetti 24 sp are listed, but as we're a simple listings guide, all we have given are the machine specs, price, date of release, country of origin, publisher and machine name.

Like i said before, I respect your criticisms, it allows us to move forward and improve in the future. :)

The AT&T info systems PC 6300, pc 6300 plus, pc 6310 and pc 6312 wgs are all listed, as well as the olivetti 24 and olivetti 24 sp are listed, but as we're a simple listings guide, all we have given are the machine specs, price, date of release, country of origin, publisher and machine name.

Impressive, impressive. Not many people have information on the 6310 nor 6312 systems. Well, perhaps someday I will run across a used version of this book and purchase it, to see it's take on a few favorite systems of mine. Who knows, might learn something new.

--Jack

As with any price guide (comic books & video games come to mind right away), it's important to remember that it be used as a reference, not as a bible when it comes to a definitive price for an item because there really is no such thing. As it was mentioned before, prices vary based on geographical location as well as trends, spikes here & there, all sorts of factors.

From the samples on your page, I'd say the book is mostly valuable to a buyer. They'll read out a going selling rate and can compare to an auction or what a seller is asking. Often they may find they make bargains compared to the book - e.g. I saw several C64 tape games that don't look too special to me but still were quoted around £10 each, at lowest £4. From what I've seen on eBay and other sites, only some of the older games regularly score those amounts, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm sure it is a cool book to read even if one would choose not to take advantage of the price indications given.

Numbnut here just spammed me with an ad for his site. (Sorry Craig, I have no sympathy for forum scraping spammers. You have just guaranteed that I never visit your site.)

What's worse is that I have no idea how he got my email address. It's not the one I have linked to my account, and I have never posted it here. (I do have a link to the website on the same domain as that address, but I don't even have that address on that domain!)

Wish it was a little cheaper, but I like the idea. I'd get it if I knew it had some nice price models, it'd help me possibly know not to go all out on something fairly common, or even value your own collection a little and justify or note a few items you may have not known are rare.

Be cooler if it had pics to admire though (although I know it's a price guide and keepin costs down).

Numbnut here just spammed me with an ad for his site. (Sorry Craig, I have no sympathy for forum scraping spammers. You have just guaranteed that I never visit your site.)

What's worse is that I have no idea how he got my email address. It's not the one I have linked to my account, and I have never posted it here. (I do have a link to the website on the same domain as that address, but I don't even have that address on that domain!)

same here just looked and mine isn't even listed

Anonymous Freak said:

The SAME EXACT thing happened to me. He somehow got an old e-mail address of mine and e-mailed me. Buddy, hiding behind bushes and writing down old e-mail addresses is not the way to make sales. Eating melty candy bars loudly while standing too close to people in line won't do it either.

--Jack

Am I wrong in thinking people selling something, just so they can make a buck, shouldn't even be posting things on this area of the site?
It seems to me, that from everything I've read on the whole site, that the only place that stuff should be, is in either the auction area, or the items for sale or trade area.
Even replying to the guys that post these things will perpetuate it - they'll then think they have an audience.

Back