• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Vintage IBM Collection

Beautiful setup. Truly impressive. Did you purchase the unit (or system) new? Did you spend time putting the system together? How long?

I must express my ignorance: what's the unit to the right of the PC, under the printer? It's hard to tell from where I'm sitting. Would that be a hard drive? Is that *whole box* just for the hard drive? (yikes!)

What titles do you have in that collection of manuals/software?

Is the rose real or fake? (kidding!)

Thank you Thank you very much, The only thing I bought together was the 5150 (System Unit, 5151 Display,Keyboard) and its three books it was an ebay find NOS with about only about 25 hours on it. The printer EXP uint and everything was added on over this last year.

Gosh I would have to get back to you on the list of software; I need to type a list anyway ;-)

It is in fact an IBM 5161 Expansion Unit. It adds two more drive bays and 7 more ISA slots to the IBM 5150 PC or XT, So basically yes a whole box for the HDD, As the 5150 did not have the power to run the Hard Drive.

Beautiful setup. Truly impressive. Did you purchase the unit (or system) new? Did you spend time putting the system together? How long?

I must express my ignorance: what's the unit to the right of the PC, under the printer? It's hard to tell from where I'm sitting. Would that be a hard drive? Is that *whole box* just for the hard drive? (yikes!)

What titles do you have in that collection of manuals/software?

Is the rose real or fake? (kidding!)

That's awesome! I just spent Saturday setting up my 5150 with the expansion chassis. What cards do you have in there? :D

Last edited:
Sure, Give me a few hours to get typed and posted! I got most all the manuals from a EX IBM guy in PA he sent me like 6 boxs of all IBM stuff free ;-) the orthers I have been collecting them on E-Bay.

Can you make a list of all the manuals on the top shelf? where did you get'em BTW?

Cool, Take a pic and show it off ;-)

Ok in my 5150 I have:
Mono/Printer Card
256 Ram Card (512 Total)
Floppy Card
Sender Card

I am still building the EXP unit but I have so far:
Recvier Card
ASYNC Card
HDD. Card

Have plans for:
Color Card
Game card

That's awesome! I just spent Saturday setting up my 5150 with the expansion chassis. What cards do you have in there? :D

That's a nice find, for free especially!

I actually wrote up a post about my setup, but haven't actually posted it yet as I didn't have a chance to transfer the photos from my camera. But it's quite similar to yours, but I added a colour monitor in addition to the 5151 :)

Last edited:
I just realised I took a photo with my phone too :)

5150and5161.jpg

Very cool... That's what I want to do is have the color display also...

Anyway here is the list of all my softwere!

Easywriter V 1.1
Visicalc V 1.1
BASIC Compiler V 1.0
Word Proof V 1.0
Professional Editor V 1.0
Personal Editor V 1.0
Multiplan V 1.0
BASIC Programming Devp. System V 1.0
Async Comm. V 2.0
DOS 2.10
DOS 2.00
DOS 1.1
Accounts Payable Peachtree V 1.0
Accounts Receivable Peachtree V 1.0
DOW Jones V 1.0
Pascal Compiler V 1.0
General Accounting BPI V 1.0
LOGO V 1.0
Guide To Operations Manual
BASIC Manual
HSM 2.02
Tech. Ref 2.02

I just realised I took a photo with my phone too :)

Very cool... That's what I want to do is have the color display also...

Anyway here is the list of all my softwere!

Easywriter V 1.1
Visicalc V 1.1
BASIC Compiler V 1.0
Word Proof V 1.0
Professional Editor V 1.0
Personal Editor V 1.0
Multiplan V 1.0
BASIC Programming Devp. System V 1.0
Async Comm. V 2.0
DOS 2.10
DOS 2.00
DOS 1.1
Accounts Payable Peachtree V 1.0
Accounts Receivable Peachtree V 1.0
DOW Jones V 1.0
Pascal Compiler V 1.0
General Accounting BPI V 1.0
LOGO V 1.0
Guide To Operations Manual
BASIC Manual
HSM 2.02
Tech. Ref 2.02

Can you image the non-writeprotected ones and add them to your webside? I have never heard about stuff like "BASIC Programming Devp. System V 1.0" and would be intrested to see what it is.

Can you image the non-writeprotected ones and add them to your webside? I have never heard about stuff like "BASIC Programming Devp. System V 1.0" and would be intrested to see what it is.

Sure I would be happy too, but right now I don't have a newer system with a 5 1/4 in it. When I get one going will do that 1st thing.

The Basic Programming Devp. System Is:

Text File Editor
Structured Basic Preprocessor
BASIC Formatter
BASIC Cross Reference

Back