• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where are all the Tandy 1200s?

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Now that the Tandy 1000TX project is finished with Tandy MSDOS 3.3 and Deskmate 3.0.5 installed on the 42MB hardcard, the SmartWatch module working and a Lava 8-bit VGA card installed and working (with a lot of thanks to TVDOG's archives), I'm turning my attention to another Tandy machine.

It's the Tandy 1200HD (26-3000A, I believe).

The thing is, like the Tandy 3000, you don't see a lot of 1200s out there, either in the wild or on Flea-Bay.

Are there many still in captivity?

That's funny you should mention the 1200... The only place I've ever even seen a Tandy 1200 is at Radio Shack stores. I don't remember them selling that well :-(

As for the 3000, when I worked part-time for Radio Shack in the early 90's, we had a 3000 in the back, running Xenix, as the "terminal server" for the store. All of the terminals in the front hooked into this unit, and every night at closing, we'd have to connect to corporate and transmit our inventory.

Initially, the Radio Shack repair depot I managed was in the back of one of the Radio Shack Computer Centres and the store sold a LOT of them even though they were a bit on the expensive side, they were still considerably cheaper than the equivalent IBM.

As for the T3K, yeah, we had the same basic setup but used a 1K (as we didnt have the terminals) to transmit our daily repair tag log to head office.

the Tandy 1200 was the most hum-drum of all their models. In fact it was made by Tandon. A 95% compatible (or thereabouts). Perfectly boring. Is this the reason I want one? As well as an Atari PC-2. Toadally vanilla. Boring as all get out. I wish I had 10 of each.

That's funny you should mention the 1200... The only place I've ever even seen a Tandy 1200 is at Radio Shack stores. I don't remember them selling that well :-(

As for the 3000, when I worked part-time for Radio Shack in the early 90's, we had a 3000 in the back, running Xenix, as the "terminal server" for the store. All of the terminals in the front hooked into this unit, and every night at closing, we'd have to connect to corporate and transmit our inventory.

I worked for Radio Shack as well (in the mid 90's) using the same system, but I also worked for them when I was 18 (back in '82), and things were a bit different. We wrote receipts manually throughout the day, and at the end of the day, we had to sit down at a model III, and enter the (first) ticket #, then the tax and total for the sale. We did not enter the item sku number though, so inventory continued to be done manually by the manager, and simply ordered using a separate application. No computer based inventory was done back then (just sending the order to Ft Worth). After entering the daily report info, I'd (manually) call a phone number and initiate the connection manually at 300 baud, and upload the daily report information. Payroll and the inventory (ordering) was done, and at the end of the day, after the daily (5:00pm was considered end of day), any and all info would be transmitted when the daily transmitted. Radio Shack was definitely one of the earliest companies to start adopting the usage of computers due to the fact that they were so early into the market with them.

The newer system they had in the 90's (and are still using to this day) was more or less an extension of the older one. All data (ICST's, ISCT's, payroll, labor transfers, inventory orders, outgoing inventory data (to be shared with the other stores), etc) is collected throughout the day, and 'pushed' to Ft Worth with the daily report (at or around 5:00pm local time). The major difference is that now, the computer itself tracks the inventory sales as each item is scanned, and the computer (not the manager) generates the orders. This is a major thing since, prior to that, they had to hire managers with strong accounting skills, whereas now, the Store Manager is now titled the Store Sales manager. The newer system also processes credit cards, (automatically, but via the phone line, not via the net or satellite dish), and the inventory not only of the store itself, but the various stores in the area as well are exchanged daily so that if a customer is looking for a particular item, and your store is out, the closest store's inventories can be queried as well. A useful feature, if not for a salesman's sale, but a quick way to locate an item. Overall, the current system, while dated, is still pretty decent, but I'm thinking it IS getting a bit long in the tooth, and could stand an upgrade, both hardware and software. Although they should retain the current POS system software and just update it and add features. Overall, it's one of the best POS systems I've ever worked with.

Tandy 1200 HD!

Tandy 1200 HD!

Well, I hate to admit this, but I used my father's TRS-80 Model I all through high school. When I went to college, I finally decided to join the XT crowd and bought a Tandy 1200 (with monochrome green monitor and dual-display graphics adapter). I later bought a 20-meg hard drive for it (an st-225, if i remember right). Later in life I got rid of it when I bought a 386. However, I've wanted to get one for my collection for some time now. I just bought one on e-bay for about $50 and it's local, so no shipping damage. I still have my old keyboard and monitor, so this worked out fine. Woo hoo! I really liked the 1200.

Yeah, the one I have is the stock 1200HD with the full height 360K floppy and the original 10MB Tandon HD, keyboard and monitor with mono text board.

Unfortunately, it has a motherboard problem that I haven't got around to fixing yet.

A Tandy 1200 just sold on eBay for a surprisingly high price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231042185972

It's the first time I've seen the floppy-only version of the 1200. Previously I've only seen the 1200HD, in both the original 5-slot and later 7-slot revisions.

2a82dzq.jpg

f5dn46.jpg

My father had bought the 1200 with a daisy wheel printer for the catering business he had at the time. it was stripped down with only 256K memory and dual floppy .But I slowly upgraded it during the late 80's early 90's I added a WYSE 700 monitor and graphics card giving it a paper white display and up to 1280x840 resolution for autocad. a 10 meg hard drive was added next it was double height so i cut the speaker out and moved it for space. My friend gave me some parts he scrounged at the time a v20 8088 processor and an 8087 coprocessor. the last was a memory board i got at the dump. I dont know why every says that u cant have more than 640k ram unless it was the v20 but I had boosted it up to 768 k ram and it worked great

I've got a Tandy 1200 recently saved from recycling, if anyone wants to give it a loving home.

I've got a Tandy 1200 recently saved from recycling, if anyone wants to give it a loving home.

Is it a plain Tandy 1200 (floppy only) or a 1200HD (with hard drive)? And does it have the original 5-slot motherboard or the later 7-slot motherboard?

Never knew there was a 5-slot and a 7-slot version. I've got one, will have to check and see if it is a plain or an HD and how many slots...

Wesley

Believe it or not, it's the original. Can you tell from the photos whether it's definitely 7 slot, or do I need to open it up?

2015-02-25 18.59.59.jpg2015-02-25 19.00.07.jpg2015-02-25 19.00.41.jpg

Back