• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EGA monitors in use?

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
Anybody here using an EGA monitor? Is it much better then a CGA?

Since I got an XT clone that has a CGA card and only one CGA monitor (A tandy CM-11 that goes with my Tandy 1000HX) I was wondering if I should look for an EGA monitor since I have a spare 8 bit ISA EGA card.

Did anyone ever make a KVM switch for CGA/EGA monitors if I had to share one?

I have two - an IBM 5154 and Taiwanese clone.

They give a higher resolution than a CGA monitor, so text is easier on the eye. They can also display 16 colours!

However, EGA monitors seem to be rather rare. Whenever I have found one, it is nearly always dead! I had to replace several caps in my 5154 to revive it.

If you want better graphics, then it would be a lot easier to find an early VGA card and monitor instead.

If you find an EGA card, most will let you use a CGA monitor with the EGA colour pallette (but at the CGA resolution).

EGA is far superior to CGA. Try to find an original NEC Multisync monitor, they have a very sharp image. EGA did seem a bit short-lived as a standard.

I would agree that for practicality over authenticity, a VGA card at least allows you to use a modern monitor - at least for the time being.

I have an 8 bit VGA card (paradise 256k?) but it gave me trashed output, probably a bad jumper setting.

Yes, EGA seemed short lived. Not sure if many games even used the extra resolution available.

I do have a NEC 3Ds multisync but my Amiga 1200 is currently using it, will that do EGA (never looking into it)?

Have an NEC MultiSync (1987 build) attached to the 8088. It's still in use but I can't get the screen width set right for some reason. It displays too narrow, while the height is displayed properly. I've checked and double checked all the settings for TTL.
I also have an EGA monotor that came with the $1 Commodore PC II that appears to be dead. It only displays a light gray screen. It also has audio/video CVBS in ports (Composite) and VCR switch. Someday I may plug a VCR into it and see if will release it's magic smoke.;)

You should be able to find a suitable adjustment internally as these were high-quality monitors, but if that doesn't work perhaps some caps are failing, although I recall a Multisync I we had at work that had a similar issue, could not fill up the screen. Perhaps the card has utilities to modify these settings on boot, like was common with VGA cards.

I think only the earliest Multisync's (I and II) had an EGA compatible input, Google would sort that out.

You should be able to find a suitable adjustment internally as these were high-quality monitors, but if that doesn't work perhaps some caps are failing, although I recall a Multisync I we had at work that had a similar issue, could not fill up the screen. Perhaps the card has utilities to modify these settings on boot, like was common with VGA cards.

I think only the earliest Multisync's (I and II) had an EGA compatible input, Google would sort that out.

Thanks for the info. I admit I don't know much about the MultiSync. The one I have is model # JC-1401P3A. There is a horizontal width switch on top of the monitor, but as I recall it does nothing when switched. I read that when scanning frequency is between 15 -20 kHz the horizontal width cannot be adjusted.
I was thinking it may be the card also. The 8088 actually has 2 cards, installed by the previous owner. One is a VEGA Video Seven and the other is a Juko G7-B. I have manuals and software for both and have them set up per the manuals. I think at one time I tried to reinstall the software but kept getting write errors on the HDD. It also gives me read errors. I know the HDD is failing, so I haven't done anything else with it except periodically run the few programs it has.

Have an NEC MultiSync (1987 build) attached to the 8088. It's still in use but I can't get the screen width set right for some reason. It displays too narrow, while the height is displayed properly. I've checked and double checked all the settings for TTL.
I also have an EGA monotor that came with the $1 Commodore PC II that appears to be dead. It only displays a light gray screen. It also has audio/video CVBS in ports (Composite) and VCR switch. Someday I may plug a VCR into it and see if will release it's magic smoke.;)

I have an old NEC Multisync 2a, and the screen output also appears to be slightly narrow. Havent tried to make any internal adjustments yet because I seldom use this monitor.

I'm a monitor junkie :)
currently have 2 IBM CGA 5153, 3 IBM EGA 5154 , 1 IBM PGA 5155 , 1 Tatung EGA, NEC 2a, Mits AUM-1381 all working
non-working 4 IBM EGA 5154 (just couldn't stand to see these go in the dump. most likely just have PS problems.)

Last edited:
I'm a monitor junkie :)
currently have 2 IBM CGA 5153, 3 IBM EGA 5154 , 1 IBM PGA 5155 , 1 Tatung EGA, NEC 2a, Mits AUM-1381 all working
non-working 4 IBM EGA 5154 (just couldn't stand to see these go in the dump. most likely just have PS problems.)

Wow, I am jealous!!! :mrgreen:

You jogged my memory - the clone EGA monitor I have is a Tatung one. Made in the same factory as the 5154 (stickers are identical).

Back