• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got an EISA mobo

Noticed that but after I checked out your other cool cards in your gallery

No Amiga related items in your gallery? :eek: ;)

I don't realy have that many Amiga cards (expensive).

I have a 2091 SCSI card, Retina Z2 4MB video, Adrienne Network card, XT bridgeboard, GVP 030/40 CPU card for my A2000, Blizzard IV 030/50 with SCSI addon for the A1200.

When I get around to taking some pics I will have a nice MCA card selection (must have 50-75 cards by now but a bunch are duplicates). Mostly I have a ton of Nubus and that section needs updated as well.

I don't realy have that many Amiga cards (expensive).

I have a 2091 SCSI card, Retina Z2 4MB video, Adrienne Network card, XT bridgeboard, GVP 030/40 CPU card for my A2000, Blizzard IV 030/50 with SCSI addon for the A1200.

When I get around to taking some pics I will have a nice MCA card selection (must have 50-75 cards by now but a bunch are duplicates). Mostly I have a ton of Nubus and that section needs updated as well.

Nice selection of Amiga cards you got there..

If we get back to the "Eisa board" topic I saw you had your Eisa mobo in your gallery.
Have you identified what model it is?

Nice selection of Amiga cards you got there..

If we get back to the "Eisa board" topic I saw you had your Eisa mobo in your gallery.
Have you identified what model it is?

No clue, its an SIS board and the CFG file doesn't show many options in the EISA config section:

;!SIS0001.CFG for EISA-486
;DATE:09/30/1990
;
;EISA-486 Demo Board
;
BOARD
ID="SIS0001"
NAME="EISA-486 Demo Board"
MFR="SIS"
CATEGORY="SYS"
SLOT=EMB(0)
READID=YES
COMMENTS="This is the Board Identification Block comment field for the
EISA-486 Demo Board"
HELP="This is the main board configuration help field for EISA-486
Demo Board."

My newest P90 Server has an Intel all EISA board (the SIS has all EISA slots as well).
;
; X-Series Premium System Board
;
BOARD
ID="INT30F1"
NAME="X-Series Premium System Board"
MFR=""
CATEGORY="SYS"
SLOT=EMB(0)
READID=YES
COMMENTS="This is the X-Series Premium System Board with 9 EISA
expansion slots. This system board contains the following
on-board features:\n
\t1) Static RAM Cache,\n
\t2) Shadow RAM Control,\n
\t3) Paged Memory,\n
\t4) 1 Parallel Port,\n
\t5) 2 Serial Ports,\n
\t6) Onboard Video Controller,\n
\t7) Onboard Floppy Controller,\n
\t8) Onboard IDE Hard Disk Controller,\n
\t9) Embedded EISA Busmaster SCSI Adapter,\n
\t10) Onboard mouse/keyboard interface."

No clue, its an SIS board and the CFG file doesn't show many options in the EISA config section:

;!SIS0001.CFG for EISA-486
;DATE:09/30/1990
;
;EISA-486 Demo Board
;
BOARD
ID="SIS0001"
NAME="EISA-486 Demo Board"
MFR="SIS"
CATEGORY="SYS"
SLOT=EMB(0)
READID=YES
COMMENTS="This is the Board Identification Block comment field for the
EISA-486 Demo Board"
HELP="This is the main board configuration help field for EISA-486
Demo Board."

My newest P90 Server has an Intel all EISA board (the SIS has all EISA slots as well).
;
; X-Series Premium System Board
;
BOARD
ID="INT30F1"
NAME="X-Series Premium System Board"
MFR=""
CATEGORY="SYS"
SLOT=EMB(0)
READID=YES
COMMENTS="This is the X-Series Premium System Board with 9 EISA
expansion slots. This system board contains the following
on-board features:\n
\t1) Static RAM Cache,\n
\t2) Shadow RAM Control,\n
\t3) Paged Memory,\n
\t4) 1 Parallel Port,\n
\t5) 2 Serial Ports,\n
\t6) Onboard Video Controller,\n
\t7) Onboard Floppy Controller,\n
\t8) Onboard IDE Hard Disk Controller,\n
\t9) Embedded EISA Busmaster SCSI Adapter,\n
\t10) Onboard mouse/keyboard interface."

That didn't say much, lol

What CPU are you using on the board?

Think the config said the same on my Eisa board
All of these baby AT Eisa boards looks quite the same....
Got this recently:

91c3_1.JPG

And this full At everex board but this PCB looks different different from the rest (well..since it's fullAT):

87_1.JPG

Nice you have VLB extensions on both boards, mine doesn't have that. I have plenty of 486 VLB boards, and a couple PCI ones I have not used in years (PCI is just not sexy in a 486).

The 486 is a DX50 I think, 8x 30 pin SIMM slots for 32MB (no real need to waste 16MB SIMMs on a 486 even if they worked).

The CFG files I posted were just the top section where the board is named. Do you have the correct CFG file for your SIS board?

Nice you have VLB extensions on both boards, mine doesn't have that. I have plenty of 486 VLB boards, and a couple PCI ones I have not used in years (PCI is just not sexy in a 486).

The 486 is a DX50 I think, 8x 30 pin SIMM slots for 32MB (no real need to waste 16MB SIMMs on a 486 even if they worked).

The CFG files I posted were just the top section where the board is named. Do you have the correct CFG file for your SIS board?

VLB is nice since good EISA gfx cards are so damn hard to find

mmm....my opinion is also that PCI cards in a 486 is blasphemy imho
PCI performance sucks anyway on socket 3 motherboards

My board I have pictures of in this thread is reported exactly as yours and I'm using the same config file with cf.exe

No, the supermac spectrum has so many ICs on it you can hardly make out the PCB. I'll have to take a picture of it later. The VGA pass through cable actually isn't required to use the spectrum. You could use a switchbox or just simply swap the VGA cable over. If you decide to use the VGA pass-though, don't forget to use a VGA terminator. The schematics are on the internet, it's just a couple of resistors.

It looks like the stars of this auction are the twin Mach64 boards. Don't you already have enough of those 2mb expansion modules? There might be an et4000w32p lying underneath there but they all look like cirrus logic cards to me. Good find though.

No, the supermac spectrum has so many ICs on it you can hardly make out the PCB. I'll have to take a picture of it later. The VGA pass through cable actually isn't required to use the spectrum. You could use a switchbox or just simply swap the VGA cable over. If you decide to use the VGA pass-though, don't forget to use a VGA terminator. The schematics are on the internet, it's just a couple of resistors.

It looks like the stars of this auction are the twin Mach64 boards. Don't you already have enough of those 2mb expansion modules? There might be an et4000w32p lying underneath there but they all look like cirrus logic cards to me. Good find though.

Pass thru cable? what does this card actually do? I'm curious as hell :)

Can only see one ATI Mach64 card...have I missed something.. ;)

hehe, think I'll have to ebay a 2mb ram upgrade module as "mega rare 2mb upgrade for Mach64 VLB gfx card" :mrgreen:

What made me snipe this auction was the mysterious, huge VLB card.

How much did you pay for that lot? I havn't seen a VLB lot in ages, last one I seen went for nothing so I snagged it (mostly Diamond Viper VLB cards and some ATI mach32's).

Havn't seen an EISA lot on ebay in a while either, I made out like a bandit on the 486 EISA MB and the cards that came with it. Last cheap EISA board I snagged was a 10/100 ethernet card.

Seems like EISA and VLB cards do not come up much on ebay these days unless the seller is trying to sell one as "rare" and for crazy money. I liked ebay better when most of the sellers were people looking to get rid of junk for a couple bucks, now it is all full time mega sellers with gear that is too new or "collectable" and priced that way.

Part of me wants to just have a cutoff date for collecting (maybe pre PCI) while the other part wants to snag cool items when they get into the free/cheap category but that would take up too much space.

Pass thru cable? what does this card actually do? I'm curious as hell :)

Can only see one ATI Mach64 card...have I missed something.. ;)

hehe, think I'll have to ebay a 2mb ram upgrade module as "mega rare 2mb upgrade for Mach64 VLB gfx card" :mrgreen:

What made me snipe this auction was the mysterious, huge VLB card.

Pass thru cables are meant for a second video card that either does an overlay on the main video screen (video input and TV cards) or takes over the monitor in special video modes (like a windows 3.1 only video card). Most video cards have a cable header at the top for those cables, it looks like a fat floppy connector.

The Supermac card I have is for high resolution Windows 3.x and NT use, will not do VGA.

Pass thru cables are meant for a second video card that either does an overlay on the main video screen (video input and TV cards) or takes over the monitor in special video modes (like a windows 3.1 only video card). Most video cards have a cable header at the top for those cables, it looks like a fat floppy connector.

The Supermac card I have is for high resolution Windows 3.x and NT use, will not do VGA.

ahh..ok

Very familiar with those cables since I own Voodoo 1 & 2 cards + a couple of Cybervision 64 cards for the Amiga ;)

How much did you pay for that lot? I havn't seen a VLB lot in ages, last one I seen went for nothing so I snagged it (mostly Diamond Viper VLB cards and some ATI mach32's).

Havn't seen an EISA lot on ebay in a while either, I made out like a bandit on the 486 EISA MB and the cards that came with it. Last cheap EISA board I snagged was a 10/100 ethernet card.

Seems like EISA and VLB cards do not come up much on ebay these days unless the seller is trying to sell one as "rare" and for crazy money. I liked ebay better when most of the sellers were people looking to get rid of junk for a couple bucks, now it is all full time mega sellers with gear that is too new or "collectable" and priced that way.

Part of me wants to just have a cutoff date for collecting (maybe pre PCI) while the other part wants to snag cool items when they get into the free/cheap category but that would take up too much space.

This is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250290854259

What...no EISA cards? grabbed this bunch:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330273810594

:mrgreen:

Es ist jetzt ganz klar warum kann ich nicht guten EISA Auktionen finden. Diese Auktionen sind nicht im Amerika, aber im Deutschland. Ich bin sehr eifersüchtig!!!

The Germans always bogart all the good stuff.

In the picture of your VLB auction the two Mach64 cards are on the very top. On the left side is 2MB Mach64 DRAM, and the right side a 4MB Mach64 VRAM. The DRAM is a nice card too since it is faster in DOS than the VRAM version.

The Supermac Spectrum/24 is actually TIGA which was a pseudo standard in the late 80s and early 90s. It was a pretty good idea and very fast, but just too damn expensive to go mainstream. There also exists a version of the card called "Thunder/24" which has a VGA core. It's probably better to just use the internal VGA feature connector though since you can use whatever VGA card you like. What makes this setup attractive is that you can have the best performance in both DOS and Windows at the same time. Most SVGA cards can only do one or the other well or both just okay.

In theory some SVGA adapters allow you to set a secondary address or disable the VGA core leaving only the coprocessor accessible. This should allow two SVGA adapters to co-exist. This is the reason why I bought the ELSA winner-2000 dualbus in the first place. However, I was unable to get it working perfectly using the ELSA supplied drivers. I should try it again later using generic S3 928 drivers, because it's a pretty fast card and has a good ramdac. It's more appealing than the Supermacs since those only support 24-bit colour modes.

The 3 video cards in that lot are nice.

Yep, it's what made me snipe that auction

The rest will just be "luggage" in the box coming from "das vaterland"

Germany really rocks when it comes to finding vintage hardware gems

Think I'm going to sell the Elsa Winner 1000 card since I already got one

Germany seems to have quite a bit of cool PC and Amiga stuff. I generally don't bother importing anything from overseas unless its small and very cheap (my EISA caching IDE controller was about $12 shipped from the UK). I don't even check ebay outside of the US.

Maybe in 20 years the dollar will be worth something again.

Shit.

My Spectrum/24 doesn't appear to be working anymore. I'll have to do more testing. Hopefully it's not dead (though it seems to be).

UPDATE:

It's not dead. It just has to be in an EISA busmaster slot even though according to EISA config it is not a busmaster device. So make sure you know which slots on your board do busmastering. Two of mine do not, though only one is marked that way.

Last edited:
One important thing I need to bring to attention about using the am5x86 on EISA motherboards is that if your voltage regulator does not have a jumper for controller writeback/writethrough caching schemes you will need to ground pin B13 on the chip (force WT mode) or you will run into DMA troubles.

One important thing I need to bring to attention about using the am5x86 on EISA motherboards is that if your voltage regulator does not have a jumper for controller writeback/writethrough caching schemes you will need to ground pin B13 on the chip (force WT mode) or you will run into DMA troubles.

Thanks for the info :)

Will probably use a Pentium Overdrive on the full size AT board, the other board will be kept as a spare

Here's a shot of the massive Spectrum/24

Spectrum24.jpg

There's actually on article on the the net from 1993 Byte Magazine and this card did quite will in their tests.

Last edited:
Back