• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DuoDisk - Replacement Drive LED and Cleaning

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
My first question about the DuoDisk is: Where can I find a replacement LED for the drive indicator? I broke mine and would not want to canibalize a second drive unit for a replacement.

Second question: Would gently rubbing the drive heads with 91% isophrophyl alcohol soaked q-tip be a good way to clean the drive heads? If not, is there a better way to do it without having to get a floppy drive cleaner?

What other maintenance should be done with these drives? (I know this is not a DuoDisk specific question.)

Where can I find a replacement LED for the drive indicator?
Radio shack. Mouser. Jameco. (If you live in the US.)
Would gently rubbing the drive heads with 91% isophrophyl alcohol soaked q-tip be a good way to clean the drive heads?
Yes. Don't soak too much. I rub with alcohol, then rub with the dry end, then try to blow it off without spitting on it to get rid of the fibers. Probably unnecessary as the first encounter with a disk and its jacket lining will take care of it.
What other maintenance should be done with these drives? (I know this is not a DuoDisk specific question.)
There is a speed potentiometer that you can tweak with the aid of any of several disk utilities to fine-tune the speed. If it's working now, it's probably not worth the effort, as you're unlikely to be swapping lots of disks with other folks these days - most exchanges are of the virtual variety.

Radio shack. Mouser. Jameco. (If you live in the US.)

I actually have the cable that connects to the drive circuitry and the block LED. I do not have a soldering iron and the contact points on the LED are tiny, so I do not know if it will work.

Back